Magnepans

I'm kinda new to the plannar/magnepan world, but I am really interested in trying out a pair after all the reviews I've been reading. From what I understand these speakers are quite power hungry. What is the minimum I need to properly drive these? 
I currently have a VAC Avatar integrated tube amp. These are the stats:
Type: Integrated vacuum tube amplifier with MM phono stage and home theater (direct power amplifier) mode.
Tube Complement: two 12AX7 low noise (phono), two 12AX7 (line stage), three 12AU7/6189A (power amplifier), and four EL34 (power amplifier)
Options: Remote control for volume (motorized direct control) & mute
Power amplifier ("Home Theater" direct mode):
Output matching: 4 or 8 ohms nominal
Power output: 60 watts/channel ultra-linear; 27 watts/channel triode
Frequency response: 9 Hz - 35 kHz +0 / -0.5 dB, 3 Hz - 71 kHz +0 / -3.0 dB
Power bandwidth: 11 Hz - 63 kHz + 0 / -3.0 db ref. 50 watts
Gain: 25 dB ultra-linear; 23 dB triode
Residual noise: 1.5 mv at 8 ohm output
Channel separation: -72 dB @ 1 kHz; -60 dB @ 10 kHz
Line stage preamplifier:
Gain: 24 dB
Maximum input signal: Infinite (attenuation precedes line stage)
Noise contribution: Approx. 0.1 mv at power amplifier output 
THD contribution: Approx. 0.04% 
Tape output: Unity gain from selector, non-inverting 
Phono stage preamplifier: 
Gain: 37 dB (measured at tape output)
MC phono stage in place of the MM optional 
Residual noise: 3 mv at output (S/N ratio approx. 69 dB) 
Overload: 117 mv @ 1 kHz = 8 volts RMS output, 460 mv @ 10 kHz 
Frequency response: RIAA +/- 0.25 dB 
Notes: Does not invert absolute phase. 

Anyone know if these will do or if I'll have to upgrade? Love the tube sound . . . will I need to go solid state for Maggies? Thanks for putting up with the noobie question :) 
the_nature_boy
As far as Class D, I did directly compare the Spectron Musician III Mk.2 with all upgrades to the Sanders and found that it sounded fairly similar. The Spectron may have edged out the Sanders when connected with balanced connections, but I just couldn’t pull the trigger because of some strange interference issues that I couldn’t eliminate.  The Sanders seemed a little more natural, and the Spectron seemed a little better in vocals. 

However, assuming that both amps function fine, I’d probably recommend the Spectron just because it’s usually cheaper than the Magtech on the used market by $500+.
Wyred SX 1000r mono's sound great on Maggie. 1200 wpc into 4 ohm, 2000 damp factor. Full meaty sound with great stage.
Natureboy,

I don't want to talk you out of using tube power on the 2.5 Maggies, they have a ribbon tweeter that I would imagine sounds great driven by tubes.  The VAC Avatar is a very good tube integrated but the truth is that 60 watts may not give you enough juice to properly drive the inefficient (84 db) 2.5s, especially the woofer section.

It may work okay if you don't play your music too loudly and your room isn't too big.  If you listen to music with strong bass, or listen at high volumes or your room is large, I think you may be happier with a powerful (300+ watts at 4 ohm) ss amp.  When I moved from 400 watts of class A/B power to 1,200 watts of class D power, the biggest benefits were the Maggies sounded much more dynamic and the bass was the best I'd ever heard on my panels.   Class D amps typically have very high Damping factors which means woofer cones and panels are very well controlled  on both starts and stops.  This results in very solid, taut and tuneful bass. If good bass is important to you, you will definitely attain better bass performance with a class D amp than either the VAC or a class A/B and the more watts the better.

Good luck,
   Tim

or use a transistor amp (MOSFETS anyone) in a topology that sounds tubey

add a real tubey pre-amp