McIntosh and Autoformers. . .?

What is an Autoformer, and what kind of difference will it make to the sound? I heard some B&W 803's the other day with the McIntosh 402, and it sounded absolutely unreal! I was so impressed, I am thinking of dumping my current SET gear, and going with McIntosh and B&W's.

A freidn tells me that I only want the new McIntosh stuff with the Autoformers. I don't know why. Will the 202 have similar sonic characteristics to the 402? What about the 6900?

Thanks!

B
hantrax
I ordered MA6500, it's somewhere on the way. but I can upgrade to MA6900 during first 30 days of using it. I guess I have to listen to it first, but how better 6900 over 6500? Is it $1500 better? My speakers B&W N804.

Thanks,
OTL stands for Output Transformer Less. These are tube amplifiers with no output transformers.
Thanks all for offering clarifications about the DC-blocking capabilities of the autoformer - I was wondering how this could be so in the absence of a secondary coil. Nealhood, just as a side note, I believe Mac still claims 35dB of negative feedback with their AT designs. Also, why should we consider AT's "mandatory" for OTL's, provided the partnering speaker presents an >8 Ohm average impedance?
Hantrax, ive heard both the 202, 352 and 402 on b&w N803s. Yes the 202 sounds very similiar to the 402. I think the 402 is overkill for N803's and below. That said, you will get a higher signal to noise ratio with the 402 resulting in a slightly quieter (darker) background at high levels. I say "slightly" because these are very quiet amps to begin with.

Ive heard the MC6900 amp section is nearly identical to the MC202, although both units are the same weight. I now own the MC202 and love it with my N803's.