Mobile Fidelity Recording

I have heard several of these cd's and have been very unimpressed. They are slightly better then the originals but not by much and the general over all quality poor. The only good ones I have heard are Pink Floyed which are great to begin with. Am I missing something? Did I just happen to not hear some of the better ones?
perfectimage
There's no question they vary. There are some instances where the imports are better than MFSL, but MFSL is consistently better than the standard--sometimes by a tremendous amount. Try Cat Stevens Tea for the Tillerman--compare that to the original. You won't be able to listen to the original again
Its not that I find the recording bad as much as I think they are to analytical. They lack warmth. They sound incredible in my friends car but on my high end system I find them lacking. Thanks for the advice Abstract I will try the Cat Stevens. I have been debating that one for a long time.
Perfectimage, look for some early #500 series in the MFSL Gold CDs (UltraDisc I's which were made in Japan). They are very, very warm and tube sounding. I have every single MFSL UltraDisc I and II Gold CD and the Japanese recordings are more analog and rich sounding. Good Luck on your persue in listening and finding the 500 series in UltraDisc I.
i have tea for the tillerman on mfsl's winyl - it's *awesome*. never heard any of their cd's, but their winyl is great...
IMHO, the majority of the MFSL catalog is *very* good - I own about forty or so titles, mostly on LP. As with any label, they have a few "misses," and critics focus on these - mainly with the criticism of "midrange suckout." The most obvious example of a MFSL LP to avoid is The Beatles White Album - it's just a stinker! (in my opinion - Oh no, here comes the negative feedback!) But not to belabor the *negative* (feedback or otherwise), the majority of the titles are wonderful! Cat Stevens - I agree!! Muddy Waters - Folk Singer - Impeccable!! The extended and crackle-free Who - Live at Leeds gold CD- Indespensable!! MoFi is *sorely* missed - my heart sank when they went bankrupt.