Music Server Recommendation

Hello AG community,
I have embarked down the path of getting my music off my computer (iMAC>USB Drive>Ethernet) and on to a dedicated music server.  Primarily I am looking for significantly improved sound quality and instant on. It will feed my DAC (most likely via USB). Need 4TB in onboard storage (no attached drives/NAS). I would really prefer to stay with Roon (have a lifetime sub) but will consider others with equal or superior functionality/sound/remote app.
Budget is $4-5k

My current primary equipment:
PS Audio DirectStream Jr/Oppo BDP-105
Ayre K-5xe Pre
Conrad Johnson MF2500a Amp
Vandersteen Quatro Woods
AQ Niagra 1000
AQ cables

I have been considering the below:

In the lead:
Antipodes EX (+ 4TB SSD)/Roon $5100
Innuous Zenith MKII Std/Roon $?? (can't figure out the US cost yet)

I really like the Antipodes especially the modular approach (ability to add a CX down the road), reviews and their reputation. Innuous seems like it may rival the Antipodes in sound quality. Both are not the easiest to buy or figure out sellers/distributors/pricing.

Trailing:
Aurender N100H $3000
Melco N1 MKII $??

Aurender is readily avail. Conductor app is generally well regarded. Would prefer the N10 but it is out of my range. I have heard some negatives regarding this unit being a bit shrill (definitely not anything I would be happy with). The Melco is very interesting and meets the sound quality std but is probably the fussiest from a setup perspective. Their software/remote app is probably the weakest of this group. Also confused about the 2 x XTB setup (is this a raid array or combined storage)?

What other products should I seriously consider in that price range? Is the budget sufficient for my requirements or should I look used or wait and save more?

Thank you in advance and look forward to your feedback

fdemello

@fdemello Another way to look at "a piece optimized for audio" is to separate the "ethernet problem" from the "usb problem." This has been examined on the Computer Audiophile forum, concluding that the ethernet-to-usb conversion and usb regeneration is a greater challenge than the host computing engine. On a budget of $5K (or more), there is much to recommend hosting Roon on a high-performance, computer-grade NAS like QNAP, and focusing $$$ on Ethernet-to-USB endpoints that are "optimized for audio."

Check out reviews of SOtM sMS-200ultra, tX-USBultra, SPS-500, sCLK-OCX10. You can add these products incrementally as budget permits, without obsoleting anything. I've had the Sonore microRendu as well-- it offers tremendous value at around $600. 

@dgarretson Thanks for the info and you make some good points. Still not sold on pivoting back to a NAS approach. That QNAP is $4-5k. And everyone I know that has a multi-box setup like the SOtM products is looking to simplify their rig.  Excellent value though as you mention. My DAC is already a Roon endpoint so I'm not sure that works from that perspective as well

I have been very pleased with the SQ from my Antipodes DX and I will be happy to have mine back from Antipodes today in its new Gen3 form (with the V4X electronics). I am going to set it up this weekend running a short CAT 7 wire from the DX to the latest SOtM ultra triad that will serve as the endpoint (or renderer) then a very short USB from the SOtM tx-USBultra Signal Regenerator into my Pavane Level 3 DAC. That set-up should be sort of like running the CX + EX combo except with the SOtM stuff as the endpoint instead of the EX.  As @astewart8944  says, Antipodes do change the top of the line-up but they keep improving an already very good product line and by offering owners the option of upgrades, they have kept the DX in the mix while improving it, which adds value. The folks at their N America service center have been great to deal with through two upgrades of my DX.

I also want to try Metrum's new Ambre as a ROON endpoint and they now have MQA and I2S modules that are user-installable into my DAC that would allow me to run I2S directly from the Ambre into the Pavane. I will probably eventually pick up an Ambre and the two modules and compare them directly with using the SOtM gear as my endpoint.    
I don't know if they are still available, but I recommend the Antipodes DS GT. I compared it to the Antipodes DX gen 2. In my system the DS GT had a larger, more defined soundstage, better separation of instruments, and more detailed than the DX gen 2. 
@mitch2 Would love to find a used Antipodes DX. Out of my price range new. Glad to hear your experience with Antipodes N America has been +

@ricred1 I will keep an eye out for that one. Don't see many Antipodes hit the used market (probably due to the upgrade paths)