My system is bright? I need help. thanks

Hi. it is my first time here in this forum. i would appreciate input and help from all of you. No sacrasm or bad langauge please. I had bad experience with other forums in that aspect. music loving people and audiophiles should be an elite, high caliber and classy community. This is rare to find today. Ok Down to the point.

My system
Musical fidelity kw 500 sacd player. I use the tube output.
Musical fidelity kw 500 integrated amp.
speakers:eggleston andra (not andra 2)
speaker cable: satori acoustic zen
interconnects: Nordost baldur and nordost quatrofil RCA
USe a dedicated 20 amp line with regular power cords(came with the gear) and a panamax 20 amp surge protector and filter.

This is in my family room so there is little room for treatment and moving things around.

problem: bright. the highs are killing my ears, after 1-2 hours of listening my ears start to hurt,sometimes 3 minutes. I have to turn the volume down. I tried postioning, it got a little better. I will try acoustic zen silver ref II may be it will help. The sound is otherwise phenomenal, i could be happy with more bass, but overall it is very good. Depth, tranparency, acuity and soundstaging are great. As for mids, i can see the person infront of me,I can hear the articulation of the tongue in the mouth before the words and tunes comes out. no kidding, but not for long because of fatigue.

I would really appreciate your input.
Scientist73
scientist73
You have made your situation quite clear, I do have some further advice. Definitely continue to work on speaker placement and room treatments. Changing speaker cables is what you should do with your limited funds. I have owned the Satori cables that utilize the OCC Continuos Cast Copper. These cables, in my system sounded light weight in the bass and had a glare in the highs. Being that you are keeping the speakers and the amplifier. The most logical move is to change the interface between them- being the speaker cable. What speaker cable to use then? Start a new post asking for a warmish sounding speaker cable or perhaps search the archives.

Good Luck
I agree with Tvad completely. Put a little more separation between the speakers, they need some room to breathe.
Not only does this make sense, it doesn't cost a thing to experiment with placement.
Hey Scientist73, sibilance on Patricia Barber(I am pretty sure you're either talking about Modern Cool or Cafe Blue) is there in the recording like that. It is not your system. The degree of that sibilance will vary from speaker to speaker, some speakers worst than others, but in general, that unnatural ssssssssssssss is going to be there no matter what.

Listen to instrumental recording to find out if the system is brihgt or not.
Scientist, you have a lot of good and free recommendations here that you may want to try aside from changing equipment.
Tvad's suggestion on speaker positioning is very good. You may want to consider trying that first.

I really beleive that in your situation, the AZ Silver Ref MkII interconnect may do the opposite of what you're looking for. I am a big fan of Acoustic Zen cables and think they are one of the best. But that doesn't mean I will recommend these every time. Silver RefII is a great interconnect. The best I have tried from the cdp to preamp when from preamp to amp I have had Matrix Ref II. I have tried 2 pairs of Silver Ref II - 1 pair from CDP to pre and second pair from pre to amp. The sound was very thin, artifical and bright with 2 pairs of Silver Ref II in the system. I too have the AZ Satori speaker cable.
When I replaced the pre-to-amp Silver Ref II with Matrix Ref II the sound was excellent. It returned to being full-bodied, natural, smooth. Good thing I borrowed the second pair of Silver II from a friend and could go back to my Matrix II in a matter of minutes.
I think in case of your integrated amp, you may encounter the same situation I encountered when using 2 pairs of Silver RefII in my system. So I think this may not be a solution for you. See, if the system is already bright and forward, and you run your cdp to integrated, you only have 1 interconnect. And you don't want that one and only interconnect to be a bright one.
I suggest going with the AZ Matrix Ref mkII interconnect or the Audience AU24 interconnect and speaker cable.
Also, you may want to call cable company(1-800-fat-wyre) and have them sent you few pairs of interconnects and speaker cables to try from their lending library. They have a database with feedback from users with particular amps, speakers, cables, etc.
So this may be helpful to you and they may guide you in the proper direction as far as cables. I think going with a smoother sounding interconnect will help a lot and it probably is one of the solutions for you since you mentioned that room treatment is most likely out of the question.
10-08-06: Audphile1
Hey Scientist73, sibilance on Patricia Barber(I am pretty sure you're either talking about Modern Cool or Cafe Blue) is there in the recording like that. It is not your system.
I agree. The amount of sibilance heard on the recording will vary not only with speakers, but with electronics, wire and speaker placement. I've used tracks from Modern Cool as a reference for auditioning every link in my system chain, including power cords. The sibilance heard in Modern Cool will be more or less depending on the gear...but the sibilance will always be there.