My Venture into Hifi with Vandersteen Model 1

First off I must truly say how much I love this form and the wealth of information, the members provide. I was lucky to pick up a pair of Vandersteen Model 1 Speakers for a prayer. Lets say they were almost given away. The aesthetics of the speakers are I would have to say about a 9, seems as though they were frozen in time. I do not know much about these particular speakers. My question to the knowledgeable members out there, are these speakers any good and are they worth giving a go! I was planning on using them with my McIntosh MC30 tube amps. I got these from my Step father, he no longer has any use for them and figured I would like them. I guess I will hang on to them for a while and see how the Vandersteen sound with them.

Any input will be well appreciated.

Thanks
dhunte21
Stick with the Vandersteen Model 1 & the Mac Monos.
A number of years ago I drove a pair of 1B's with a Quicksilver GLA stereo amp (35-40 wpc). It was glorious.
The pairing made real music. Set up the Model 1's properly,
use speaker wire like the Kimber 8TC, and enjoy!!
Don't listen to the naysayers. I actually used a very similar combination. IT WORKS!!!!
Enjoy
What naysayers? Everyone agrees the Vandersteens 1s are very good for the money - I did make a mistake regarding its impedance making me think a 30 watt tube amp would not work, but I acknowledge that mistake, so I have no doubt it will work with these execeptionally good amps, like your Quicksilvers. Will the OP like'em, well, that is as simple as plugging in as listening for himself. Now the OPs question was if the VS1 were any good and worth trying - of course they are. They are however entry-level speakers and if the OP is interested in better performance, there are certainly other choices down the road that will take him beyond with the VS1s can provide - the VS1s are a heck of a good speaker with close to full range performance for under $1,000 and should be on anyone's shortlist for speakers in that price range.
You can add a Vandersteen sub later. With a Vandersteen sub you will think your little Mac monos are several times more powerful. It really improves the sound in ways you would never imagine.
Gentleman, did not think my question would have created such a stir. I thank you all for your input! Once again I am new to these woods and all the info I can get right now is fantastic. I am still a little bit confused, I picked up the speakers and from what I have been reading cables do make somewhat a big difference in sound. Any suggestion on what I should purchase or is it up to personal preference.

Thanks