Need advice on bi-amping

Hello,
I am thinking about bi-amping my front towers. First I will list the components I currently have or will soon have in my system that will be relevant to the question.

Onkyo PR-SC 5507 Pre/Pro( on the way)
Rotel RMB-1575 (5 channel - 250w per channel)
B&W 804D towers
(second amp not yet purchased)

At the moment I am using this system as my 5.1 home theater/2-channel music setup. The rotel amp only has 5 outputs so, they are all used in this 5.1 configuration. I have the B&W 804d connected to the rotel amp with a single cable. What I am thinking about doing is purchasing another amp so I can bi-amp my towers. The onkyo processor has the option to re-assign two of the surround outputs for bi-amp ability. I would then use the rotel amp to power my front towers and buy another amp to run my center and surrounds. This will be a passive bi-amp setup because I am leaving the stock crossover network installed. What I am trying to achieve is tighter, more powerful mid bass response and more detailed highs.

If I do passive bi-amp my towers, would I gain more power and amp headroom this way? It seems like it would work as the woofer section is seperated from the mid/high. This way each section is getting a full 250w feed and not splitting it. I could be totally wrong about this. If so, somebody please explain how this works.

In your opinion, do you think this would provide an increase in sound quality? I know there are some of you out there that are running your speakers in this configuration. What are the pro's and con's of doing this? Thanks in advance.

Andy

andyprice44
I might step back a re-think this. Probably just save my pennies up for a better amp.

Thanks for the advice

Andy
Going a bit against the grani:
The onkyo processor has the option to re-assign two of the surround outputs for bi-amp ability.
IF the amp allows you to choose frequency as well, so much the better. Anyway, why not borrow a cheap 2 channel amp and try it out. Since you use a 5 channel Rotel, try to find a used 2-channel from the same company.
You will get some sonic improvement which usually translates into slightly "clearer" sound -- i.e. you get the impression there is better separation between instruments and voices. You have more power on tap because you have added two extra channels -- you are just relieving some of the strain put on your present amp...

I used to passively tri-amp simply because I happened to have amps lying around that happened to have identical input sensitivity. The result was not stellar -- but improvement there was.
Of course, as these things go, active bi/ multi amping is in another league altogether!
I toyed around with this idea in my system, which is very much like yours. I have the 803D's in front, 805D's in back, HTM2 Center, my sub has its own amp so we'll leave that out. I started with the RMB 1095, 5x200w. I wasn't happy with this amp alone. I ended up with an RB 1092 driving the front, and an RB 1091 monoblock running the center speaker and using two channels of the 5 channel amp for the rears,(all bi-wired.)This gave me the sound I wanted for the budget I have.