Need DAC/Streaming Advice

I currently own a Bryston BDP-2 digital player that I run through a Bryston DAC.  As far as playing high resolution files via a thumb drive or other external drive, the BDP-2 sounds great.  The streaming part leaves a lot to be desired.  I can stream Tidal but it is extremely slow and the IPad controller is pretty lousy.  I can listen to Sonos through the DAC into my main system but obviously there is no hi-Rez via Sonos. I would like to find a better solution and am willing to start over (I can move the Bryston components to my secondary system).  What I would like to find is a higher end streamer for my main system that would allow me to stream Tidal, Spotify and Deezer if possible while also playing digital files via thumb drive etc. I have no idea if that can be done in a one box solution or if I would need a separate streamer and DAC.  I would very much appreciate any and all thoughts.  Thanks in advance.
puppyt
@russellrcncom 

+1 on the mini. I just recently acquired a Lumin u1 mini from upscale audio. They offered a 10% discount for returning customers so I was able to get the mini for 1800. Still above your 1500 limit, but it’s closer and every bit counts, right? 😀

anyway, I have been extremely pleased with it streaming hi res Qobuz to my devialet. The Lumin app, is quite nice and user friendly as well, but I also am doing a Roon trial, and already know I will buy the lifetime membership as soon as my trial is over. Roon is fantastic!

regards,

mike
I don’t have personal experience with them but NAD (which is part of the same company that makes BlueSound) makes several products with BluOS built in. So you get the exact same functionality of the BlueSound products but in a much "better" (higher end) package (full separates with better power supplies, better DAC, etc). They make DAC/streamers, integrated amp/streamers, etc. Someone already mentioned the brand new NAD C658 ($1,500), which is one I have my eye on too, but there are other models depending on which specific features you are looking for.

Oh and +1 for Roon. Fantastic interface and the "killer app" functionality is the ability to seamlessly integrate all your music from Tidal, Qobuz, and whatever is stored on your local drives into one large library. You can shuffle music in your library regardless of if it's a local CD rip or on Tidal or Qobuz. I LOVE that feature because sometimes I want to create a playlist of a handful of albums where I have a few files on my hard drive and a few are on Tidal. BluOS doesn't do this - you either listen to Tidal or you listen to a local CD rip. Can't do both seamlessly but with Roon you can. 
I am using the PS Audio DirectStream DAC vir Roon/Tidal.  It is amazing.  I would put it up against the MSB dac (in my system)!  
Roon is a great app.  I switched from Logitech Media Server (LMS) a few months ago and haven't looked back.

If you plan to use Roon DSP, you will need a fairly robust computer or device to run Roon core.  DSP use is not mandatory.  I think it makes for a much better listening experience and does improve SQ.  I use Headroom Management, Sample Rate Conversion, and the Parametric EQ filter.  I also use volume leveling.  I'm still learning how to use DSP, but overall, I'm quite satisfied with my results.

My source is an Innuos Zenith MKII network media server/CD ripper.  Roon core runs on a sonicTransporter for Roon DSP.  If you are looking for an excellent media server/CD ripper, take a look at Innous products.  The Zenith line is relatively pricey, the Zen line is far less expensive with basically the same functional capabilities as a Zenith. 
  • With an Innous product, you will need an external DAC
  • Innous products can decode/render MQA files
  • Innous products are Roon ready and can run Roon core (My older MKII runs Roon core, but isn't powerful enough to run Roon core with DSP.  The newer MK3 version can.)
I have a NAD M12 pre/dac with BluOS module (that I installed). I used the BluOS module with LMS.  Since switching to Roon, I don't use the BluOS module and I've purchased a Mytek Liberty DAC.  If you plan to use Roon, I wouldn't base my streamer decision on whether it has MQA or not. Just let Roon handle it. I would not have purchased the M12 BluOS module if I'd starting using Roon before buying the M12.

Roon handles MQA unfolding and, because I use Roon DSP, the Liberty feeds the M12 a PCM stream.  I done a few BluOS MQA versus Roon MQA comparisons.  At the same volume setting, BluOS MQA is brighter and louder than Roon MQA.  I attribute that to my use of Roon DSP Headroom Management and Parametric EQ filter.  Both sound great, I like the Roon MQA sound better.

Lastly, if at all possible, use Ethernet cable to your endpoints.  I use WiFi in my secondary system (Verizon FIOS Quantum Gateway router with Orbi RBR50 WAP and satellite).  The WiFi signal blankets my house, but I still get an occasional dropout.  My main system is all Ethernet, with no network connectivity issues!  
@puppyt 

What are the rest of your associated equipments? I would highly recommend either Linn DS (digital streamer/DAC) such as the Linn Akurate DS or the Linn Klimax DS if you can afford them or any Naim streamer/DAC if you can also afford them as they both are expensive.
Both Linn & Naim are highly musical sounding streamer/DAC units. Musicality wise I would give an edge to Naim.

Someone mentioned about the Naim Uniti Nova in a previous post. The Naim Uniti Nova is a digital streamer/DAC/integrated amp all in one box solution. If you already have an integrated amp or preamp/power amp combo I wouldn't get the Naim Uniti Nova. I would get a dedicated Naim streamer/DAC unit like those in its 200 or 500 series but they are very expensive especially the 500 series streamer/DAC but are highly musical.