New Rowland Criterion 2-chassis battery pre

Jeff Rowland Design has just created a page for its upcoming statement-level, twin chassis, battery powered full function preamplifier. Detail is still scant, but a little bit of info is already available, in addition to front and rear view pics. Here’s the page:
http://jeffrowland.com/Criterion.htm
And here’s the front view:
http://jeffrowland.com/Criterion-front.htm
And here’s the rear view:
http://jeffrowland.com/Criterion-back.htm

You will find a few specs already on the site. JRDG should be publishing more info in the next few weeks. I will post here as I receive it. in addition to the published specs that you can read on the page above, here are a very few additional tidbits that I have learned this far:

. Uses Burr Brown TI OPA1632 high speed fully differentially balanced modules.
. Includes phono stage.
. Uses standard NiMH D-cell batteries available in most electronics stores, loaded in 2 rear-inserted tubes of power supply chassis.
. Capable of AC/DC operation . . . will recharge batteries on independent circuit during AC operation.
. Full remote control
. Target price $18K (not sure yet)
. Availability: probably early Fall 2008.
. Will be featured at RMAF in Soundings Hifi suite Marriott 503 or 505 from Oct 10th to 12th in Denver.

And sorry folks, I have not heard this device yet. Nor I have any good third party reports on its sound. Any speculations on Sonics from my part would be just. . . pure speculations. I’ll keep everyone posted as I learn more.

Guido
guidocorona
The Capri is easier to read than the prototype Critereon display, by a long shot. The buttons light, so I don't really see much need for a display if you remember which buttons are which inputs. These are both functionally pretty simple devices, so I wouldn't get too hung up about the display, but that's just me.

Dave
Guido, I am sorry to hear, or rather read about your handicap! You are most likely correct about the possibility of modifying via firmware. Dave, that's exactly the other issue of not being able to assign custom names to sources in the Capri situation. In today's world one should also be able to pick a color of choice for all LEDs in a given device. I spent much time discussing this with Larry at Magnum, but the market trend said blue and the nights of music suddenly turned into a fiesta of lights-into your face. In my humble view too much attention is given to radical styling and submission to fashion, and still a lot of work remains in the ergonomics for most brands.
Thank you Audiofil, except for the relative insensitivity to eye-candy, blindness is hardly a disability for an audiophile. . . more of a persistent annoyance, which can be circumvented to a reasonable extent by bits of added shrinkwrap on positive wire leads (thank you Cardas!) and a few written notes about remote control and component layouts.

I agree completely about the rigidity of display ergonomics and related input/output labelling. If I recall correctly -- and I may be wrong -- Criterion lets you assign meaningful text label on the display to connected devices. As for display color, the Criterion at RMAF had only an engineering level display with a temporary color. Criterion uses a series of filter jells to tune display color. Therefore it may be possible -- at least in principle -- to ask Jeff Rowland to install color filter tuned to the requirements of a particular user as a special order.

In some bright and wonderful future, I would like to see all system components able to communicate with and being remotely controlled by an external Mac/Linux/Windows computer via a platform independent web or Web 2.0 interface. . . at which point current international standards can be applied for developing highly usable/accessible control environments compatible with all audiophiles, including those of us with certain sensorial/motor/cognitive inconveniences/disabilities. See the World Web Consortium's Web Accessibility Initiative technical guidelines at:
http://www.w3.org/WAI/guid-tech.html
Those reading Audiofil's post may mistakenly believe that the Jeff Rowland Design Groups are radically designed. In my view their physical appearance is very conservative, giving the feeling of understated quality. The blue lights for the buttons are very small and the display can be muted on devices like the Capri and Continuum. The engineering sample of the Critereon was similarly understated.

Whether the Critereon will ultimately allow users to customize their displays, I have no answer. The USB allowing firmware update would make that a possibility. All I need is Phono, Digital 1 and Digital 2 and maybe Tape in the future, we'll see. Lacking that a simple 1, 2, 3, 4, as on my Continuum 500, will suffice. I really have no trouble remembering what's what and don't let anyone else use my rig without supervision.

BTW, my Playback Designs MPS-5 has a large, red LED display and some complain about that. I mute it when not in use, but there's no satisfying everyone. There'll always be someone bitching about something. I just make sound my first priority and follow that cue.

Dave
I agree that the Rowland product is somewhat tamed and my comment pertaining to fashion was a general one addressed to the marketplace as a whole.

Then again, if you go for the right feel, the switches on the JRDG are in my view too small and oddly shaped for comfortable pressure to be found (here imagine what fun would it be to have them in different colors, just as large like the ones Tandberg once used on the 910!) I think as B&O lost its design factor appeal by having employed an outside of the industry stylist a good number of high end products are still just an engineering vision turned reality without the involvement of the right and talented industrial designer. Please take note that I am not addressing this to any specific brand. To comment Dave's reply, I differ here and I am a strong advocate of sharing the music system as an appliance with all others. Appliances are however best when they are good, robust in performance, reliable, beautiful and intuitive to operate by all.