New Rowland Criterion 2-chassis battery pre

Jeff Rowland Design has just created a page for its upcoming statement-level, twin chassis, battery powered full function preamplifier. Detail is still scant, but a little bit of info is already available, in addition to front and rear view pics. Here’s the page:
http://jeffrowland.com/Criterion.htm
And here’s the front view:
http://jeffrowland.com/Criterion-front.htm
And here’s the rear view:
http://jeffrowland.com/Criterion-back.htm

You will find a few specs already on the site. JRDG should be publishing more info in the next few weeks. I will post here as I receive it. in addition to the published specs that you can read on the page above, here are a very few additional tidbits that I have learned this far:

. Uses Burr Brown TI OPA1632 high speed fully differentially balanced modules.
. Includes phono stage.
. Uses standard NiMH D-cell batteries available in most electronics stores, loaded in 2 rear-inserted tubes of power supply chassis.
. Capable of AC/DC operation . . . will recharge batteries on independent circuit during AC operation.
. Full remote control
. Target price $18K (not sure yet)
. Availability: probably early Fall 2008.
. Will be featured at RMAF in Soundings Hifi suite Marriott 503 or 505 from Oct 10th to 12th in Denver.

And sorry folks, I have not heard this device yet. Nor I have any good third party reports on its sound. Any speculations on Sonics from my part would be just. . . pure speculations. I’ll keep everyone posted as I learn more.

Guido
guidocorona
my dealer has already ordered the Corus and the 625. I am very curious to compare them to the Capri and especially the 625 to the 501 and 312.

"All the truth" beetween Class D & Class AB ;-) ?
Claude, the interesting comparison will be between 312 and 625. . . 501 uses a generally more basic design without PFC in the front end, and its sound lacks the subtlety of 312. If 625 exceeds the music performance of 312 it will be a very special amp indeed. One detail I do not have yet is the current rating of 625 and 925.

Regarding Corus, the comparison with Capri should be a very interesting one.. . if my scant info is correct, Corus should sound very similar to Criterion, which is IMO significantly more refined than Capri.

Has your dealer told you when he should be receiving his units?

Guido
Clavil, one of the Audiogon's master, your post is interesting. I want to keep my Criterion "forever", but I could change my 312 for a JRDG Class AB, so I'm going to wait for your and Guido review from the 625.

If I remember or I read well, you wrote in another post the reasons of why JRDG starts once again to make Class AB amplifiers. If they realise Class AB is really better than Class D. IMO the reasons for those new Class AB devices is MONEY, because the impact for the market with Jeff Rowland's Class AB is huge, they will sell many more units than with another and another Class D amplifier.

For instance, you have already ordered the 625.

I'm going to wait ansious for your review.
Thanks, man.
Braz, I will definitely post any listening observations about the new JRDG amps when I get my hands on one. . . we'll see if it is a 625 or a 925. Guido
That's fine, because the electronic signature from the 625 or the 925 wil be, more or less, the same signature.
Let's do it, Guido.