Nice Warm AC cord for a PLC

Hi everyone. Its been a lotta fun reading thru Audiogon and hearing about your experiences with your equipment. It sure helps in making decisions in trying new stereo stuff.

I'm looking for your experiences regarding power cords in line conditioners. I have a VansEvers Model 83 PLC. I absolutely love it! It makes my system sound wonderful (to my ears). I'd like to substitute the VansEvers cord with a bigger, fatter, juicier one, hopefully with a WARM sound.

Any suggestions? Thanks for reading this!
mapleleaf
If you want a warm power cord, get one thats very very thin and I guarantee it will get warm. ;-) Any decent power cord of large enough wire gauge to supply adequate current to your gear should be sufficient. Having an engineering background, I don't subscribe to the idea that a power cord should be used to taylor the *sound* of your system. To me, this is bogus nonsense. I *do* understand the differences that interconnects and speaker wires can have on your system but to spend more than $50 or so on a power cord is a waste of money, IMHO. AbeCollins
Abe, see my response to your comments over in the Dunlavy thread. What you and i were taught in school is "theory", not "reality set in stone". Obviously those theories do have some validity, otherwise we wouldn't be where we are today with the level of electronics that we do have. Nonetheless, we know a lot less than what we think we do about a LOT of things. When we stop learning as a individuals, we're doomed as a race.

As an electronics tech that has worked as a design consultant for over half a dozen manufacturers, i used to have a similar point of view as you. Then i actually tested some cords and found that "common sense" need not apply to everything that happens with electricity.

If you think that the power coming into your house is "clean", better break out your scope and do some measurements. Just as a filter can be built from electronic components, why couldn't this be done with a power cord ??? By manipulating the inductance, capacitance, etc... through the use of specific materials, geometries, shielding, components such as caps, etc.. this is completely possible and is done on a daily basis. Think about it.

As to the cost of such devices, i agree that they are quite exhorbitant in price. Then again, they are specialy items made on a limited basis in most cases. As such, show me a specialty market and i'll show you a high mark-up. Sean
>
Interesting dialogue on the above two threads; I appreciate your input Abecollins. I, too, am a person of the scientific community. Unfortunately, things I see everyday at work do not fit into the scientific "mould" that I was taught. Yet these phenomena undeniably exist.

Yes, I am new to audiophilia nervosa. I don't claim to have as much experience or technical background as others. Yet, despite my healthy skepticism of many things in the stereo world...I have heard things I cannot deny (cue X-files music).

I agree that things like cables and cords are outrageously priced. My dealer wanted me, at the beginning, to audition some Kimber Silver Streak. I balked at paying THAT much for wire and bought PBJ's instead. Now I am plunging deep into stuff I would've mocked myself for several months ago. I think that although profit margins are large, most manufacturers exist on relatively low volume. I can't begrudge them for trying to make a living. The high volume-high price guys are the ones that bug me (are you listening Sony SACD players? Mr. D'agostino?)

I also know this...My very own tin ears, as do those of my non-believing, mocking wife, HEAR differences in cords and cables. Are you saying that you don't at all?

I don't want this to turn into cables do/don't do things type thread. I just wanted to hear about other peoples' listening experiences with power cords on their PLCs!
Mapleleaf, we seem to share a similar perspective on cables. Somewhere there has to be a point of diminishing returns, though I don't claim to have pushed the envelope enough to know its boundaries. I have explored enough to know that cables can make a marked *difference* (sometimes better, sometimes not) in a system's sound and that experience has been supported by those familiar with the evolution of mine. What I am willing to pay for the right cables (and everything else audio oriented) has increased with the passage of time, but that's attributed to a mild case of audiophilia nervosa more than anything else. Certainly not common sense. ;-)

As to the original question, I, too, have a VansEvers Model 83 and put a Synergistic Research Master Coupler on it. Didn't add or subtract any warmth, but it certainly "unclogged" something. There was an improvement in overall dynamics over the "stock" cord (the Model 83 was bought used and I strongly suspect the cord wasn't the original one). Everything but the amp is plugged into it, so there's more than a nominal draw through it. It was well worth the money spent, even more so since it was bought used here on AudiogoN.
Fpeel, the Model 83 is indeed excellent. I bought mine recently from Mike VansEvers directly; no deal but he did some extra "special" stuff to it...hee hee hee. It sounds amazing, I thought that my gear was great at music before but the 83 blew me away.

Unfortunately, the 83 also triggered a viral like illness...I became, and still am, obsessed with the question "Can I make my stuff sound EVEN BETTER?". I am thinking that if I had never met the 83, I would've been so much happier and content. Now I am locked into a never-ending quest for improvement. (Is this a metaphor for life?)

The 83 shoulda had a VansEvers cord with it; its got red jacketing and yellow wall plug. Pretty distinctive looking. Nothing wrong with it...I just want MORE. More dynamics, more forever sounding decay, more soundstaging, more warmth....greedy greedy greedy!

I've got a Marigo Reference cord on the 83 right now. Improvement over stock VansEvers cord.