Observations on Audiogon Posts

There has been something that disturbs me about the posts I see on Audiogon. I am specifically talking about the posts that ask members to make suggestion's on equipment.

Here is the problem I have. I rarely (and I mean I can count on one hand the number of times) see people post what kind of sound they are looking for. Instead people ask if such and such a piece will sound good with these other twenty pieces in their systems. What's the problem? Well, how do we know what you are looking for? Is sound-staging the most important thing to you? For some people it is. Do you like a forward aggressive sounding presentation or do you like a more laid back sound? Is musicality the most important thing to you? Do you want a system that produces accurate timbres? Knowing what you're looking for can save you thousands on equipment that doesn't fit you're criteria. It also helps us in making suggestions.

It seems to me that if more of us spent more time on what we are trying to get from our systems then on what brands we should buy we would all be a lot happier.

Just some food for thought.
nrostov
I think we have yet to standardize our definitions for a start. This thread demonstrates that well. The new audiophile must have been attracted to the sound of music (not the musical) and should have some notion as to what sounds good to them.
Therefore they seem to be struggling quite hard to use such bland descriptives for which there is no standrad.
My favorite saying when Itaught wine tasting was in response to this question.mWhat is the best wine in the world? My answer was always the wine you like the best.
There is always another vintage, another region and so on which may replace your current favorite. It is an evolving process. The oringinal poster had it right the person asking must guide the audience by expressing some fundamental desired qualities. What they seem to be asking more often than not which wines do wine experts admire. What Should I like? People want definitive agreement on what represents the best ever available at any price. You would be hard pressed to find a concensus on a single wine.
If your taste is for Sauterne then a single vineyard cabernet from California will likely not appeal to you. I am afraid these kinds of gross generalities are the only ones that can be expressed
TVAD's words of wisdom should be engraved onto brass plaques -- or even better on instrument-grade boards of solid African Blackwood or Lignum Vitae -- and be featured above the system rack of every audiophile on this site. G.
I've played the audiophile game for over 35 years and enjoyed all of my systems regardless of flaws simply because of their faint ability to bring Dinah Washington or Lyle Lovett into my room less a ticket.

The DISsatisfaction oft expressed by those attempting to capture wholly a performance to me is foolish on many levels. It cannot be done any more than capturing the Grand Canyon on film and sharing it.

I commend those searching for audio Nirvana with the understanding that it is without destination, only an enjoyable journey complete with missed trains and bad weather at times.

Ever notice how you forget your system entirely whenever you are enjoying a great live performance with all of its energy, artist/audience commenseration and interaction with attendees? There's the magic.
Audiophiles make too much of the differences between how components sound. To the average concert going music lover any decent $1,500 system will sound pretty good. Yet as audiophiles some of us obsess about the truly miniscule audio differences between $1,000+ power cords. The average music lover can hear the difference, but shrugs about asks "what the big deal?" Not all sonic differences are musically significant.

There are many different motivations for people to use the forums. I've been reading them for years and find them very useful for gaining information about technical and system setup issues, but virtually worthless regarding buying decisions. If you know what to look for the virtual systems section, particularly those with picture, is invaluable.
Onhywy,

Actually I don't think the average music lover can hear the difference. This isn't a put down of them it's more of a sad commentary on how obsessive we are.