Opinions please on a starter audiophile system?

I am in the process of completely revamping a long standing 2 channel stereo system consisting of older Polks, big box store sony cd / amp.
I suppose I could classified as a "newbie" to audiophile components but believe I can drastically upgrade with a desired budget of $4K.
Would love to hear opinions and thoughts on amp/cd/speaker components that fit that budget.
Have researched much, auditioned little, though trying to finally go hear, make a choice and get off the audio merry goround.
Musically we listen to a variety of stuff - jazz, folk, rock, jambands, lots of archive.org stuff. Logistically, the system will reside in the living room 14x 18 of a 9 foot ceiling'd post and beam house with open floor plan. HELP? Much thanks.
sjwsjw999
My advice would normally be go with used gear, but considering everyone don't take the same amount of care in equipment, there's a small risk involved. I would check out Emotiva. Their products seem to offer the best bang for the bucks. Their products comes with a pretty generous 5 yr warranty, as well as a in home 30 day no question asked return policy if you're not satisfied. I would start off with the ERC 1 CDP $400 and the USP1 PREAMP $400. You can save $50 on each one by buying the demo units, comes with same warranty. You still have $3200 to invest in a nice Used Amp and some speakers. that's my 2 cents. Oh, and by the way I own both pieces.
Advise-set a budget. Select a source(s) CD, Tuner or LPs.
Listen to new at a hi end parlor.
Then buy the brand you like used.
My suggestions would be a NAD integrated/Sony CD/BW speaker
let your ears be your guide
And I have none of the brands suggested
Loudspeakers are the last thing you should buy. They are too arbitrary. I like this speaker someone else likes that one. They are also musical dependent; those Polks will do fine for now.
there's no right or wrong on this subject, of course, but if i had $4k i'd start with the speakers and then match amp/source. given your room size/budget, perhaps a nice floorstander like psb imagine/totem hawk/revel f12?