Parasound JC-1 Questions

I have been considering these fine amps and need some advice from those who have been using them.

1.Does the amps performance suffer noticably if they are not left on 24-7? I would rather just turn them on an hour or two prior to serious listening.

2. When the amps are on (high bias) do they produce more heat than a Krell FPB mono block?

3.For those that currently own the JC-1's do you have any regrets with your choice (nothings perfect!)

All comments welcome!

jsen
There is the answer to why there is a divergence of opinion on how hot the amps run. Parasound told me that within the parameter of the design, there is a range of bias that is acceptable, I believe within 10 degrees F. One of mine ran 9 degrees hotter, and, believe me, I could feel the difference. I had the bias lowered to be close to the other one. When it was biased hotter, you could not leave your hand on it for more than 8 seconds without feeling uncomfortable. Only 9 degrees made this much diffference. To the touch, I thought the difference was greater than 9 degrees, but I used a digital thermometer and made extensive, careful measurements, so I am sure of the temperatures.

The odd thing is that I like the way they sound in low bias nearly as much, as I use them primarily in low bias, and then don't have to worry about the heat or the electric bill!
my experience is also that with adequate space for ventilation they are warm to the touch at most,even after days of being left on in high biased mode.once e-mailed
Bob Crump to ask him about this and he answered that he couldn't understand why people were saying they ran so hot.
Kevziek, when you had the bias lowered on the one of your amps, did you have to send it back to Parasound, or did you or your dealer make the adjustment?

I will probably check the bias after the 2 months of break in.
1)By now, it sounds as if you understand that they only need to be powered on w/signal 24/7x60
for break-in, after that it's business as usual.
90-120 minute warmup and your good to go.

2) Don't know about the Krell, but, my JC-1's have no restrictions around them (see system pics).
In low bias, even after cranking awhile, I can hold my hands on the heat sinks indefinitely.
In high bias mode, after cranking awhile, I really wouldn't want to hold my hands on the heat sinks for more than a few seconds.
But, this is to be expected in high bias mode. It's not like their sizzling hot and you'd burn yourself just touching them for a few seconds. Let's just say it's uncomfortable.

3) No regrets-they rock!