Parasound volume level question

Background: I just completed set-up of a Parasound Halo P3 preamp (purchased on eBay) and a Parasound Halo A21 amp (purchased here) with my Thorens TD320 MkII turntable using a Shure VST III cartridge and my Paradigm Reference Studio/40 v.2 speakers. I use BetterCables.com Silver Serpent II balanced XLR between the preamp and amp and their Premium III bi-wire speaker cables.
The question: I am using a volume setting of 60-66 for moderately loud volume levels. I find I need to use the same volume levels when listening through the headphone jack, also. This seems awfully high from what I have read, especially considering the preamp volume runs from 0-80. Is this normal?
128x128mhconley
Headphones are not that much different than speakers. Maybe the headphones you are using are not very efficient, try a different pair.
Sorry to turn this around but how do you like the Shure VST III cartridge? I just got one on Ebay for $16.00 with a broken stylus.
Thank you, Rick Hall.
I own a P3 connected to a PS Audio hca-2, using a Grado Prestige Gold cartridge on a pro-ject Rm6 SB turntable, with B&W matrix 804 speakers employing the B&W bass filter or whatever it's called.

A volume of 66 on the preamp would be painfully loud. I wince when I set my volume control to 60, and I like to listen to Rob Zombie and Rammstein. My listening room is pretty bright acoustically, 14'X18' with fairly low 7' ceiling with acoustic tile that's really not acoustic.

I did find that I had to adjust volume down after employing XLR connections between pre and pwr amps rather than RCAs. Not much, but it was readily discernable.
Rick,

I like the VST III very much. Very detailed. It had great reviews when new. Very close to the V15 at a much more reasonable price, at least when your talking $850 total for table, arm and cartridge.

All,

After more time with the system I have found that the best listening levels are achieved in the 40 to 56 range. 56 and above becomes punishing after a while.