Pass XA200.8 Review - Fun measurements

Hello everyone. 

Yet again, Stereophile has produced an interesting set of measurements:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/pass-laboratories-xa2008-monoblock-power-amplifier-measurements

Mind you, I'm as interested in why people like certain sounds as I am about absolute performance, if not moreso. 

There are lots of Pass fans out there, or they could never afford to sell amps at $40k per pair. But take a look at the measurements. Plenty of distortion by-products. 

Is it possible Pass has hit on a euphonic recipe his fans adore? 

What do you fans and detractors think? Are we seeing the magic Pass recipe here? 
erik_squires
Low order harmonics (up to 3rd order) and higher even order harmonics are pleasing - of this there is no doubt!

I don’t think you need a 20K x 2 monoblock power amps to achieve this. Although a Pass amp will certainly do the job eminently.

The stereophile measurements are excellent except for the IMD at 4 ohm (might not be a good fit with low impedance speakers like Magico or B&W)

My current “musical” solution is to take the Benchmark DAC3 (SOTA in measurements for low distortion and noise floor) and large ATC Active speakers (also ultra low or SOTA in all forms of distortion and Class A to 2/3 power) and place a tube preamp in between them! My current favourite flavour is McIntosh C2600 (admittedly nowhere near the same league as ARC Ref and so NOT SOTA) with Telefunken NOS in the phono stages and a combination of a 1950’s RCA long black plate with a JJ stock McIntosh tube on the line stage. It just sounds so sweet and musical and I can roll tubes whenever I want without breaking the bank. I think great musicality can be found at many price levels - even entry level - all depending on personal taste. I recommend the tube preamp route as being a great way to “cook” to your taste!

So I agree Pass designs are not SOTA for measurements but they are excellent for their musicality (SOTA for musicality). Furthermore some Pass designs are better than others (no surprise) and the XA60.5 is perhaps his best sounding ever!

@shadorne

I see where you are going. There are a number of tube pre’s I’d like to have in my system, but due to budget, and space I’m living a hyper modern lifestyle. A Myteck Brooklyn DAC to ICEpower amps via pure silver interconnects.

However, I heard a lot of Pass amps at the show in Oakland. I really did not like them at all. Mind you, you don’t have to. :) but they had a particular sonic signature prevalent in most rooms.

No one on this thread has to agree with my personal listening tastes at all. I’m mostly just asking whether you think this distortion profile is the Pass signature, and if this says something about those who like it.

My all time favorite amps, the CJ Premiere 12s, I am sure measure horribly too, but sound nothing like the Pass. Can we learn anything with this?

Best,

Erik
My passdiy amp sounds really nice, no idea about measurements but it sounds more tubey than my 300B tube amp. Warm and musical.
The measurements, as John Atkinson suggested, indicate a relatively low level and a very restricted open-loop bandwidth, which appears to be about 500 hertz.  This is unusual as a very restricted open-loop bandwidth is normally used to ensure stability where a relatively high degree of corrective feedback is used.  The loss of feedback at high frequencies results in comparatively poor high frequency distortion readings.  That said, the sound was good.  As well, the amp provides true true class A operation at its rated power (200 watts) into an eight ohm load.  The manufacturer specifies the current draw at idle at a very high 6.1 amperes, which if one applies the formula that output power is the square of the current (I) x resistance (R), means that the class A power into eight ohms is 6.1x6.1x8 or 297.8 Watts.  The manufacturer claims that it leaves class A at 430 peak watts (no impedance specified) whatever those are. Into a four ohm load, ithe amp derates (leaves class A below the rated power into that impedance of 400 Watts) at 148.8 watts, but this is still impresssive in comparative terms.  More to the point, the reviewer found it had some unique, desirable qualities in the midrange, even though the Class AB Momentum monoblocks beat it in bass slam and tightness, capture of recording venue ambience, and lack of a sonic fingerprint.  
My previous post should have said in the first line, “relatively low level of corrective feedback”.  That said, the very low measured output impedance, including cable, of 0.03 ohms suggests a very healthy degree of corrective feedback, although there may be other explanations for this.  Would explain the very limited open-loop bandwidth and consequent increase in high frequency THD to 1% at 20K into an eight ohm load.  Still, the proof of the pudding is in the eating, as the saying goes.