Passive and active biamp together

Hi guys, I have a question for those of you with experience in both passive and active biamp.

Preamble 1: I was using passive biamp with 4 identical monoblocks, but, especially after a fine tuning in room acoustics, found out I got no significant advantage, so I reverted to single amp, putting the extra pair of monos for sale.

Preamble 2: my loudspeakers have double inputs (binding posts) for lows and mid-highs (xover freq 350hz@24db/oct), but the xover network, for what I can read in the manufacurer user manual, is pretty complex, making its removal unfeasible for going active.

Question: somebody told me that putting an active xover between pre and power amps, would be of great advantage anyway, even though the passive xover is not removed, because the amps would only take care their part, and especially because there would be much less energy dissipated in the passive xover, of course provided the active one is set at the same freq and slope, and its quality matches the rest of the system.

Haven't sold the monos yet, do you guys think there could be a point in this, worth getting a, say, Marchand XM126 tube xover to try?

Thanks to all,
Marco
128x128cptaz
Marco- The 48db/oct slope will result, because what is left, after the 24db/oct attenuation of the freqs(by the active X-over), is indeed, a SLOPE(the freqs are not completely eliminated). The passives continue that attenuation. Just as holding a horizontal straightedge, first at a 45 degree angle, then- holding it at a further 45 degrees, results in a 90 degree angle from it's original position. Enjoy your experiments, and- happy listening.
Marco,

I finally took a good look at your system. Wow, I bet it sounds amazing as it is. I also had a look at your speaker's specifications and I don't believe that you need to bi-amp with a 50 watt amp. I have never heard an 845 tube amp, but in my opinion single ended zero feedback set designs are the cream of the crop. Congratulations on all that beauty.

Kudos and Cheers,

Ivan
Rodman, thanks for clarifying, guess I'm done experimenting...:)

Ivan, thanks for your kind words, and for your advice, in the end I think I'll keep it simple and enjoy it as it is, hoping those monos will go asap....:)

Marco