Phono Preamp and Cartridge selection

I have on order a new VPI Prime turntable. It will be used with a Mac MA-6600 integrated amp and a set of Revel F-30 speakers. Do I go tube vs SS? Looking for suggestions for MC cartridge and phono preamp. Hoping to be in the $2500-$3000 range. Thanks.
rkbcpa55
For the stated budget, I'd recommend an MM cartridge (or 2 or 3). Put as much of your $3K into the phono stage as you possibly can, you'll never regret it.

I've heard (and own) $200 MMs that compete easily with any sub-$1K MC, and most sub-$2K MCs. The extra $500-1500 you'd have to spend for a decent MC won't get you any better sound, because that money would come right out of your phono stage budget. At this price point, an extra $500-1500 invested in a better phono stage will provide much more sonic performance than the same money invested in a cartridge.

IMO, if you can spend a few dollars more, the Herron VTPH-2 will probably be the last phono stage you'll need. It is sonically as good as it VTPH-2 does not sound like tubes or solid state. It doesn't "sound" at all. It is just transparent to the signal.