Pioneer 563 universtal DVD player for less $200

Does anyone have any experience with this player? How does it compare with other universal players?

I am looking for a temporary solution. Denon 2900 was original my pick but I don't want to deal with its bass management issue. Plus I want to wait for a DVI output as well.
ejliu
Well, since there was no response, I went out and bought one to try at home. Best Buy had it for $170+tax. Here is my current setup:
Preamp Anthem AVM-20
Amp Nakamichi PA-5
Speaker: Epos-11
Sub: HSU VTF-3 rosewood
(still selecting home-theater speaker right now)

Overall, Pioneer 563 is easy to setup with Anthem AVM-20. Bass management seems to be working ok for me. I will be doing test signal next weekend. Since I only have stereo+sub right now, I used Norah Jones's stereo SACD and regular CD for comparison.

SACD Direct-pass through sounds clean, details and analog-like. CD version has less air and instrument body.

Switching over to DSP bass management on Anthem AVM-20 shows the bass is very extended and well controlled. The less-digital sound is still on the SACD version.

Overall, I am very satisfied with the ability of the $200 SACD player. Will buy a few DVD-A and try them out in 24/192kHz stereo sound.

Will try out on the Avalon Radian HC/Aragon stereo system next weekend. As well as the Dynaudio Audience 52/Marantz sT-17 bedroom system.
Well, I for one am interested in your test results. If there is an inexpensive way to dabble in hi-rez, I want to hear about it. What other digital source(s) are you comparing with the Pioneer?
Curbach,

I am going to try using the Pioneer as a transport to up-sample CD output to the Anthem AVM-20's internal. It suppose to be able to do something close to 20/88.2. Not really sure, don't have the manual in front of me.

To me, the best test is to compare to analog recording instead. I am going to buy a SACD Miles Davis Kind of Blue to compare to 180g LP recording. I still have a VPI Aries/JMW-12/Benz Micro Ruby analog setup.

To me the test is not to say SACD/DVD-A is better or worse than analog or other CD player. It's just very interesting to see how a $200 DVD player can stack up to a $5k analog rig. Nice to finally see some real progress on the digital front.

Also, there are still too many variables in this high res DVD music format. I don't think it's wise to invest more than $1k. Essentially these player will be worthless in less than 2 years, considering the possibilities of SACD-2, bass management, DVI video output option and etc.
I was looking for a hybrid DVDA/SACD player. Did not want to drop the big bucks since technology changes so rapidly. Best buy is practically giving these away. I paid $149.99 before tax 3/21/04 Nyack, NY, and they were throwing in any SACD or DVDA in stock as a freebie - awesome. My Toshiba SD-5700 just bit the dust and this thing was so inexpensive, I figured even if I had to wait 24 hours to get the Tosh repaired - what the f--k, let's hook this puppy up and get the Tosh repaired when I feel like it - it's still sitting there... I love the Pioneer - great video, SACD and DVDA. Took me like 5 minutes to set up and I was off to the races. My feeling on all things digital is that the improvement one can expect and/or hear as you move up the price pyramid, gives far less return or bang for the buck than almost any other component - speakers, cartridges, headphones, amps, preamps, you name it. Hey, for the price of like 6 DVDA's or SACD's - go pick one of these up at Best Buy. (I have no involvement whatsoever with Best Buy or Pioneer).

Current system (in this room) consists of Meridian 508.20, B & W 801 series III, B & K 307, Krell KSA 100, ARC SP9, Toshiba SD-5700 DVD, Yamaha T-70 tuner, B & W sub, center, surrounds.
Any audiophiles have opinions on this player?

I hear tell that a lot of audiophiles are jumping on this player's bandwagon. Now, I may or may not go see about this player. I could always return it if it isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread, but the thing that holds me back from being interested is that I already have one more CD player than I need.

I have one friend who called me the other night and couldn't stop raving about it. Is it actually a mirage, or does this player represent a real force?