Please...dont flame me (Bose 901-Series I help)

OK,

So I absolutely understand the angst that these particular speakers/brand can elicit.

However, these particular speakers (the series I in particular) have always been on my bucket list since my pre-teens. They were my first exposure to anything resembling high fidelity, thus, I have always wanted a pair.

Now in my mid 40’s...ahem....I had a pair dropped in my lap for no $$$. Cherry condition, original drivers and original EQ (crossover).

My quandary is this, I only have this Yamaha RX-V461 multi media receiver to drive them. On paper, the RMS per channel is 100WPC. The issue is, I just do not feel like the speakers are getting enough juice to really make them sing.

Placement and listening room requirements are met, and in all honesty, the sound pretty damn good at high volume. Its just that I get the feeling that the receiver gets a little winded and sounds a little artificial to my ear.

I am hoping that swapping in either a power amp (using the Yamaha as a pre-amp) or an analogue "Beast" vintage receiver will warm up and fill out the sound at all volume levels.

I have this rig set up as a secondary, "just for ----- and giggles" rig. Currently using an MP3 player as a source, with plans for a single CD player here shortly. I used a friends CD player as source prior, so the issue I am thinking is indeed the amp.....i think.

I am hoping that someone here could give me some ideas as to what to look for as a good match up for these speakers. Cheap is good, "sleeper amps" are always a joy, so if there is a little known but desirable rig (think Realistic STA-2100) I am all ears.....haha....get it? All ears.....?
morwatts
I had a very early pair, I traded them fora Z1B Kawasaki from my brother his family still has them and loves them. Upgraded my system to a pair of Bozak Concert Grands. Liked the 901's but I understand your trepidation.
Lance

I bought the 901 series5 in about 1984. I had an old SAE 501 amp driving them with about 250 watts per speaker max. In my opinion the 901 speakers did not sound better with more power, just went louder and filled the room with loud sound. I anchored them from the ceiling and put them on pedestals. Both configurations gave me similar results. Although a revolution in design for surround sound (I think Bose was attempting to recreate the live concert sound) the speaker had many limitations. Interestingly Dr. Bose really spent much of his earnings on another revolution in car suspension (shock adsorption) in cars. But he did not succeed in getting it adopted into the industry. A shame really because the design was crazy good...
https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/259042-bose-sells-off-revolutionary-electromagnetic-suspension
bose, 'no highs, no lows'! i bought my system back in the 4 chanell days. i had a marantz 4300 powering the rear 2 chanells and a phase linear 400 powering the front 2 chanells. i thought they sounded good back then. i had the series 2. today i only listen to music. i have a mcintosh mc602 powering my 4 901 series 2 speakers!!
If I recall, the 901's were actually well regarded in the audiophile community back in the day. I believe Bose started to take a beating when they went "lifestyle". I will say, our BOSE wave clock radio (15 years old) sounds great for what it is.