Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Hi Folks:
I purchased a pair of KenRad 6L6G for the regulator position in my Syrah, but one of the tubes does not appear to show any filiment lighting up and it's cold to the touch even after extended use (whereas the other one is lit up and warm/hot). I'm thinking the tube is dead but I've no equipment to test it. I got the tubes on eBay and they were listed as NOS but were untested. I'm wondering is my thinking right (is the tube definitely dead)? The strange thing is the music plays just fine, but then I tried removing the dead regulator tube to see how the music sounds, and it still sounds fine. Hence, I'm wondering what role these tubes play at all??? Any opions are welcome. Thanks.
I am blown away by what everyone is saying about this pre-amp. Is there anyone in Los Angeles that would be willing to show off their shinny chrome beauty? Maybe do a shootout with an Audio Note preamp?
Outlier, The Supratek's will play fine without the regulator tubes installed. I am not sure exactly what the tube does but... I presume they regulate... :) I've tried a few tubes in that position and have just recently tried the Metal 6L6 RCA's. (Black Metal tubes) They're kind of ugly but they sound very, very impressive and are pretty inexpensive. Worth a shot if you can stomach the looks.

My guess is one of your Ken Rad 6L6G's is dead.

Also... did you hook up with Ethan regarding that power cord? I think you might like it. I've got one and its a big enhancement to my system.
Hi Bwhite, thanks for the tip on the other tubes. Yea, I guess the KenRad likely is dead (cost me $110 after shipping for the pair too ;-) I'll see can I get refund or replacement.

Yea, I do need to get my hands on that PC. Right now I'm between CD players (just sold my YBA CD1a), and I'm having my Teres 135 upgraded to 245, so I'm musicless right now, but will see can I try the cord when I get back in action with the 245. I have to get a new CD player now too. I've heard good, interesting things about the Meitner/Phillips rig - might try that (if it doesn't cost me an arm and leg). Cheers, and happy listening.
I think the Philips/Meitner rig DOES cost an arm and a leg! I believe they are about 10K?

You might look up John Wright at museatex.com. He is modifying Ed Meitners "older" products. I recently got one of the Bidat DACs modified by John and it's simply the best digital I have ever heard (and I've owned just about every one box player worth owning). The DAC including mods cost me 900 bucks total. Don't let the price fool you. This thing is the real deal.

Congratulations on your Teres upgrade! That will be sweet I'm sure.