Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
BWite, I feel your pain. If I had the previous version I would want the upgraded unit myself. But in reality, we are talking about progress here and it ain't never gonna stop. Actually I applaud Mick for continuing to push the envelope with his designs and trying to constantly improve them.

As the old saying goes, "Change or die".
Jsujo, wake up and smell the coffee. The Supratek that is advertised is not one of the units Mick was referring to in his post. Actually, he said the Syrah (advertised) was not affected by the changes!
Fiddler, you are correct. While Mick's products have been successful as a result of how they sound, that does not diminish the fact that his customers -- the ones willing to "bite the bullet" and buy a preamp on faith, without ever listening to it -- are the ones who financed that progress and therefore should be given the respect of an upgrade path.

I commend Mick on his progress both in the development of new products as well as his ongoing customer support & loyalty to his customers but I am a bit stunned at how careless this "new product introduction" was and how little it took those die-hard Supratek advocates into consideration.

My take on Mick's post was basically that it was a slam on the Cortese / Grange and the general overtone somehow seemed that Mick was never happy with that design to begin with. The slow progression/evolution of the Cortese design into something which is much more like the Syrah than it was in its inception is clear evidence of this dissatisfaction. Yet, Mick's never failed to tell his potential customers how great his preamps were and how he couldn't possibly build anything better - in so many words.

Now.. we hear it again. With this post, Mick claims to have done what he never thought possible. Just like what he said when he built the Cortese and then again when he built the Grange.

Sorry for rambling here. I'd really like Mick's input on this before writing more speculation. :)

So in closing, Fiddler... It's not just MY pain. If the value of Cortese and Grange preamps fall, so will the value of Syrah. This pain is for all Supratek owners. I am as I said, interested in Mick's follow up comments on this topic because I feel it would be in his best interest to provide an upgrade path for his customers - for many reasons.
BWhite, once again your points are well taken, but AA is full of posts complaining about manufacturer upgrades. Cable companies (especially power cords) seem to be the worst offenders.

I suspect that Mick thought his products were the best he could build at the time, but with continued testing and computer modeling, he discovered better circuits.

I wish everything I have purchased in audio was the last and greatest, but it ain't gonna happen. I know you are pissed, but look at Levinson, Krell, CJ, Plinius, MF, etc. They are constantly upgrading and last year's model drops like a rock.

Mick's products have held their value very well and I suspect they will continue to do so. They have consistently out-performed other gear in the used market because of the hype (justified), long wait and reputation. Will used Suprateks continue to sell in the used market for nearly 100% of the original purchase price? I doubt it, but they will still probably beat the averages.

I guess I am not upset because I never buy any audio gear as an investment. I figure going in I will lose 50% of the original purchase price when I go to sell it. If I can eventually sell Mick's gear for anything over 50%, I figure I am ahead of the game.

Good luck and happy listening.
Actually the body of my message disspeared,,,it wasnt supposed to be that way...

But thanks for the advice!..;-)