Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Hi Fiddler, I'm not pissed. I simply think that there should be some consideration for existing customers. The post didn't seem to indicate there was any - and I am waiting to hear back from Mick before getting too emotional about this.

Mick's products are great and *I* look forward to hearing what his newest designs sound like but truth be told, Mick's "sales force" is mostly made up of existing customers. I cannot even count the number of emails I've received/answered and the amount of personal time I've spent communicating about these products - and in effect, selling the Supratek brand. Likewise, I am sure there are many more people out there doing the same thing - and in essence, helping spread the word about Supratek products.

You'll notice that Mick doesn't advertise in the audio mags nor has he ever. The popularity of his gear has been generated by word of mouth and by satisfied customers. This "preamp deal of the century" thread is by far the most active/popular thread on Audiogon which in turn is the most active/popular audio website on the internet. This is where a great majority of the Supratek advertising happens and it's no wonder Mick posted his announcement here.

I am confident that Mick will offer an upgrade path (but dismayed that there was no mention of this in the "new product announcement"). If existing customers do not upgrade to the new design and confirm to the world that there is an improvement, the "sales cycle" as it is now will stop functioning. I'm not a sales genius but it occurs to me that taking care of his customers would be the best way to ensure his "life's work" continues to be successful.
I agree with Bwhite regarding this matter. Furthermore using this forum for such an announcement seems inappropriate to me. I would hope for a nominal cost that Mick would offer to upgrade the existing Cortese and Grange out there to the level of the "new and improved" models if it is possible. If not, he might have been wiser in not using this forum to display his enthusiasm.

Having said that and getting back to the topic of the thread "Preamp Deal of the Century", don't believe for a second that that the value and performance of the Syrah and Chardonney have been diminished by Mick's post. They are superb performers in their price range and above and most importantly, a great value. After all, how many handmade, hardwired, transformer coupled full function all tube pre-amps are available for 2.5K? I would welcome knowing of just ONE that performs to this level at this price point.
Tubegroover - think about it, the Cortese (and Grange I suppose) is hugely better than the Syrah in that it is WAY more refined, solid, and of a much higher quality standard than the Syrah - in my experience. While sonically they are quite similar, the Cortese is in every way a more precise instrument - having owned/heard both, there is no question in my mind.

Without going into detail speculating how this could effect used Syrah prices, lets just say that if the price of a used Cortese were to fall substantially, who in their right mind would pay $2500 plus customs and shipping for a new Syrah from Australia vs. buying a used Cortese in good condition?

Anyhow.. I may have totally over reacted to this and therefore put too much emphasis on "resale value" which while important & something Supratek is "famous" for, is not what really matters.

What seems most important (to me) is whether or not Mick provides an upgrade plan to Cortese/Grange customers - without that, this announcement of progress will most certainly hurt all who have supported Supratek - in one way or another.
Bwhite, agree with you 100% on offering an upgrade. Just wonder how that would effect the production of current models?