Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
On the line stage portion of my Cortese I use Mullard CV181/ECC32. NOTE: These did not work in my friends Syrah for some reason. The power supply has Genalex Gold Lion KT66's and the Bendix 6106. I added Telefunken CCa's to the phono. Previously I was using a Mullard GZ37 rectifier but it didn't sound good after I put the Accuphase transport into my system. The Bendix really made a nice improvement with this transport but didn't work too well in my system when I had other transports.

The regulators tubes are a great place to tweak the sound. The improvement I can hear in my Cortese and a friends Syrah (who also uses the KR Black Glass) are worth the investment. That said, I am considering buying Ecclectique's 350b's! :)

The TS 5881's are okay but actually seem a bit dark and muffled to me these days.

Recently I have been playing with Svetlana KT88's, GEC KT88's, TungSol black plate 6550's, GE 6550's, RCA metal 6L6 and some others in the Cortese (and Syrah) but right now, the Genalex Gold Lions fit my system the best.

Slowhand, I'd recommend trying as many 6L6 type tubes as you can get your hands on.
When I first got my Sauvignon I quizzed Mick on the acceptable tube substitutes. He told me not to use the 6550's or KT88's as voltage-regulators. I never asked why.
Jazzdude - thanks for mentioning that. I wonder why Mick suggested to not use 6550/KT88 as voltage regulators. I've been told they are electronically the same as any 6L6 tube - it's just that they can take accept higher plate voltage.
Hi Brian, what 6L6's do you recommend? I just purchased a pair of Neotron 6sn7's for my line stage. I was told by someone that has a Syrah that they sound great in his. I will let you guys know what I think of them.
Hello Brian and Jazzdude. The early 6L6G[shoulder shaped bottle] are very good and quite a bit better than the later GB's or GC'c types in my syrah. Brian.....Email me off line regarding the WE 350b's. Cheers David.