Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Dear Asa,

To sum it up...I hear, you hear, they hear.

Natural is as to organically created ( human voice and winded pitch instrument oscillations, human striking mineral and organic resonant objects, and friction induced resonations).

Yes, a given it is, and understood not yet to be exactly electro mechanically reproduced as compared to a live violinist creating a "Natural Sound". A Violinist Playing in ones left ear and the best methods of reproductions of the same playing through a speaker in one's right ear does not a reference make,...but of course, no two listeners by individual description does not a reference make as well.

Audiophile Reference is not concrete nor has a standard of measure that I can tell with exception of one's nearest description of Hmmm to closer understanding with another's Hmmm.

With one being exactly equal to another... then there is reference. No two exact finger prints, no two exact ears (of hearing by description) no true reference and no true human measurement of such.

Current flow and Composit Frequencies competing and colliding harmonically in persuit of the most conductive path of least resistance only to be thrust into an inductive and ancient artifact of diaphragm technology...just a little stronger, yet lighter, faster and more...sensitive.

In Summary:

With all said and done with descriptions of Soundstage, depth and transparency...are we all just trying to achieve a scaled up to room size set of better headphones? LOL :-)

Let me be the first to say honestly that I know nothing of what I'm talking about. I understand some of what others say and I sincerely appreciate their much higher knowledge and experience. As for my self...I am void reference :-)

Audiogon is an Oracle of some truly knowledgable individuals with great experience that freely shares with lessor beings of knowledge and experience such as myself.

On Point to Preamp Deal of the Century: I'm still building an endless system of upgrades of higher quality. If you listen to a component system you like be it used from a friend or new...Buy it. If you can't afford it... finance it and Buy it. I'm learning the true costs of experimenting, buying multiples of items (cables of various types and other goodies). I do understand ampacity, attenuation, current, conductor quality, impedence, inductive capacitance (LC)influences in respect to frequency and some other good stuff. I'm reading about Marketing Major frequency speaking Voodoo Cable Witch Doctors right now. Very good money invested in a very good preamp is money well spent and likely won't be changed out for a while. Don't skimp too much on the Preamp, get what you want.

Thanks to all,

Rcnc500
Tom,

I Bow to you in gratitude! I will first say a merry good morning to you and thank you for your anti-whacking prevention position! I read your comments on 1-11-04 regarding you finding the Bass on your ceiling and geometrically rechanneling the energy toward your listening chair. I laughed so hard I nearly soiled myself! LOL :-)

I like your space ship! A Man's Cave space or a Space Ship like listening room must be tweaked to personal liking without "killing the music". I desire more of a Star Trek Bridge room motif myself, complete with a Captain Kirk styled listening chair. Since I am married, fending off my listening cave space from my wonderful wife's desire to alter (feminize) is an ongoing vigil.

Preamp Deal of the Century: I have found a couple of used Bryston preamplifiers BP20 (640.00) and a BP25MC (a little higher here $1,330.00 with MM and MC phono stage) on the used market are some very good values. If you can find a used Bryston BP25MC closer to $1,100.00 you have done very well. Very clean sounding with a dark silent backgroud.

Thanks again Tom :-)

Good Morning to All
It is an attractive and interesting space ship..It does hide the screen..It fuctions very well and there are no flashing lights to scare my neighbors or to make their dogs cry.As for the Bp20's I have sold many of those in the past .They benefit greatly with the addition of the threaded 1.5 in Audiopoints, really open up and make the bass much more articulate much more apparent speed and attack.Also give the front nose a slight tilt up.. about 5 degrees.Great buy for you..Tom
Seeking the following information. Thanks for your responses!

1. Is there anyone who may have a Cortese (or its equivalent linestage) in the New England area that I could hear?

2. I know Mick has recently implemented an upgrade, can anyone comment on the relative performance between the two versions of the Cortese (linestage performance only)?

3. Likewise, does anyone have experience with the Grange (and its equivalent linestage) relative to the linestage performance of the Cortese?

4. How is the Cortese offered in its base configuration (i.e. number of inputs, remote availability)?

5. Has anyone compared the Cortese with the Hovland or First Sound Presence Deluxe II? Can you comment on the relative performance?
Linkster,

2. I don't know of anyone on this thread who has heard both old and new versions. Email Mick.

3. I have the older version Sauvignon. I have a Cabernet on order. I will post my initial impressions soon after I get it.

5. Waltersalas had the First Sound PD II and has the Syrah now.