Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Rodger I would first recommend, as a point of reference, for ever more that you mechanically ground all your components... Do not mix and match different coupling devices they all have different ground potentials..And do not intermingle so-called isolation devices with coupling devices. You do that and you will have no reference at all. For a few hundred dollars you can direct couple all these pieces and they will be in step with each other as much as they will ever be. Intrinsic noise internally self generated as well as airborne micro-vibrations can be drained away quickly to ground. Resulting in a total system gain of 1.5 decibels netted by using Audiopoints thruout your system. Do not forget the speakers...Some of the brightness is distortion, and left in place in your components, will only be re-amplified and regurgitated over and over again.The reduction in noise and distortion will net you better and more tuneful bass, increases in soundstage and image focus, with greater overall system resolution. I am convinced these devices will allow you to truly hear and evalulate correctly what you do have, either right or wrong in your system. They will speed you on your journey to learn faster, and to store sonic memories and experiences, so you can become an honest to yourself educated listener of musical reproduction equipment. Tom
Tom, excellent point made on the reference grounding the system components. Thank you most sincerely for the advice. I did not really consider the aspect of reference grounding all the components. It makes abolute sense. I guess I accepted mentally the components being chasis grounded through power cord grounds. However, higher frequency attenuations and comprimised reference grounds. I will pursue the Audiopoints. Do you sell such devices or do you have recommendations of where to go to acquire them?

Thank you very much Tom!

Rodger
Tom are you speaking of the brass Audiopoints that screw into the chasis like the threaded taper brass cones (support components like under the amp and so on. Or are you speaking electrically bonding a reference ground to the component chasis's. I saw some Audiopoints (Threaded vibration isolation brass cone devices that help mechancial transference of vibrations?

Thanks Tom,

Rodger
Jazzdude: I currently use the Cabernet - you will NOT be disappointed when you get yours! Note however, that all of Mick's preamps are very good and it is only a matter of degree as to improvements between the Syrah-Cortese-Cabernet.

Having said this, the Cabernet/Grange have an edge in having a 'hear through' character that is better than the rest. The sound of the directly heated triode (DHT) 101D tube in the Cabernet/Grange is unique and different from the 6SN7 used in the Syrah/Cortese. The 101D has a pristine clean signature coupled with a punchy accurate bass...no coloration, no smearing to the overall soundstage with all of the players standing clear of each other, each doing their own thing on stage within their own defined space. I am finding that the sound of 101D in the Cabernet matches very well the sound of the 6C33-CB power tubes in the Supratek Merlot monobloc amplifiers that I use, both having that supremely clean and effortless presentation.

Cello: the Cortese is a magnificent preamp and it is not surprising that you are happy with it. It has a wonderful tonality that just makes the music sound 'beautiful and alive'. Keep in mind that that even a stock Cortese is better than most preamps out there so while it is tempting to go for the upgrade you still have one of the best even in it's current state! Also, is the rest of your system good enough to show the improvements? In general, I find that only a good Electrostatic Loudspeaker will show you all the detail, nuance and finesse that the Syrah/Cortese/Cabernet preamps possess compared to other mediocre preamplifiers.

Regards,

Steve M.
Rodger I am refering to one single method of mechanical grounding and thats via the Audiopoints products. As far as electrical grounding goes. I found dynamics and timing improved if all major components[amp, pre-amp, main source]all share a common ac outlet.. A quad in this instance 20amp circuit of high quality outlets, dedicated and with an isolated ground. I have 3 separate dedicated lines all wired exactly the same and by the same electrician. I suppose there is a slight difference in the 3,and that it can throw the timing off..One common outlet works the best with all the majors hooked to one.. Remember it all starts with the power supply. Tom