Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
**THE** power cord for Supratek? I have what I believe to be the best power cord EVER for the Supratek. I was planning to post info on it but the designer just changed his design. I want to compare the new design to the old before making any recommendations - just incase the new is better than the old or vice versa.

The new version is supposed to have twice as many conductors as the old version & that's the only change I know of.

The price of the cords when I purchased my "new version" a week ago was $250 for a 6 footer. I think he offers a trial period too but I'm not sure.

The new cord is on its way from Canada and I'll post more info once I've heard it.
Bwhite, the most effective way to reach the synergy we all wish to achieve is thru high speed mechanical grounding techniques. Ground is the point of reference,and the most efficient way to reach the reference is direct coupling..Tom
Nice posts guys...you *are* a civilised lot on this thread!
Having played devil's advocate and illicited some good responses, I would agree that some final tweaks to an already good system is icing on the cake and therefore can be beneficial.

Cello: your comments are nicely put and I've 'been there and done that' (ie, implementing a lot of tweaks over my time). A lot of you also hit the nail on the head by stating that system synergy is the key to good sound. I guess my simple point is if you feel you are missing something and feel the need to tweak, look first at your major components (such as your loudspeaker) and see if a fundamental change can be made. No amount of tweaking will improve a lack-lustre speaker for example.

Ecclectique: Like you, I have a lot of different equipment at my disposal, I may have left the tweaking urge behind some time ago. I find these days that it is much more challenging (and satisfying) trying to add a Raven ribbon tweeter and requisite crossover to my Proac Response 2.5 loudspeaker etc...etc...than say playing around with tweaks.

In the end, to each his own and we all do in audio what we are able to understand. I don't thinking tweaking is a bad thing and it keeps the fire burning for audiophiles. I guess instead of calling it tweaking we should call it 'fine tuning' to add some credibility to the whole issue.

Regards,

Steve M.
Steve. Nice post . "Fine tuning" is the more appropriate word here in this thread. I have a sneeking suspicion that most of us here have "been there and done that".Many of us have experimented with IC's,speaker wire,tubes etc,and can hear the differences these may or may not impart in ones room.I suppose some might call that tweaking,one can call it whatever they want.I would preferr to call it Fine Tuning myself. Are you fine tuning your proacs or are you "tweaking" them??? A superb choice in speakers [by the way] and one that is very dear to my heart![still miss my response 3's to this very day] Interesting......I would classify that type of work as being in the tweaking category and I am certain Stuart Tyler would also call it "Tweaking". He has "voiced" all of his response series speakers to sound as "beautiful" as they do. Steve.... no disrespect here,I am very intrigued to be sure,however; I just don't believe there would be any reward in modding that speaker with a raven ribbon......and yes, I do believe the Raven is a superb driver.Hope you will post your thoughts on your Tweek. Cheers.