Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Slipknot- I had an SP9Mk2 in my system not too far before I got my Syrah. Its a VERY significant improvement to the Syrah. Can't even imagine what the Chenin will do. You should be a very happy camper. You can use the waiting time to shop for some NOS tubes.
I just recieved a pair of NIB WE 350B's today and installed the insanely priced tubes in place of the 6F6G's, currently in service.

Ecclectique is correct, the 6F6G sound very similar to the 350B's with the real difference being a slightly less glorified bass and mid range treatment as noticed on the 6F6G's. It does seem on the surface, that the 350B's tend to have a little more detail, but proper burn-in time will really tell the story. Please note, do not take this comments as gospal as this result is system dependant and also very much dependant on speaker placement in the room. By moving my listening position around 3 feet forward resulted in less of booming effect as noticed with both the 6F6g's and the WE 350B. The booming effect is most likely due to the listening position, where the rear lounge is placed up against the back wall, thus amplifying the bass effect.

So, are the 350B's worth 8 times the asking price of the 6F6G's. Probably not, but don't let that stop you. Try it for yourself, your milage may vary.

Having said that, I still find the lower treble to be a little weak and the bass still not as tight as it could be. This Phenomena is probably due to the Ken Rad VT-231 Black Glass. I've ordered a pair of Tung Sol Round Plates as suggested by Cello, and they should arrive in the land down under in around 10 days. I'll keep you posted as to the results.

I think it's time to seriously start rotating the various tubes in my collection, to hit upon the magic sound I'm looking for, which is probably the same as everyone else's holy grail, Brillant highs, rich mids with strong, deep tight bass.

Note: Tubes Currently on duty in Sauvignon:

Rectifier: Mullard GZ34
Regulator: WE 350B was using 6F6G (Sylvania Green Letters)
6SN7 : Ken Rad Black Glass VT-231

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Clipsal,
The changes you should get from the break-in on a NIB tube should be quite large. I found that it took about 150 - 200 hours to see some real results. I would love to hear how your 350b's turn out.
I have a pair of Mullard 37's that are terrific but are tempted to check out the 350b's with all I have heard from everyone.
hey Clipsal. The WE 350b's, though very expensive...are a terrific investment and will only appreciate in value. I concurr with your assessment regarding the bloomy bottom octave when paired with the Kenrads. You must be running full range speakers.You will find the tungsol rounds a little leaner on the bottom end with the 350b's. Very system dependent over-all, especially for those using full range speakers that have extension into the bottom octave. For those with stand mounted monitors or speakers with a leaner bass weight...The Kenrads would only be a big plus.I recently visited a friend with my syrah in tow. He is running a pair of stand mounted proac response 2's and an el-34 based amp.I am was using the early sylvania metal base 6sn7 with the 350b's in my Syrah. Substituting the Ken's in place of the sylvania's really made his system sing in a big way.It added more weight or a foundation to the overall presentation and worked magically with the proacs. I was "mesmerized" with this set up...captured both of us for many hours into the evening. Those proacs really make beautiful music!