Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
I just received a pair of Tung Sol round plates 6SN7 GT black glass and plugged them over two days to evaluate the sound in conjunction with the WE 350B used as regulator and Mullard GZ 34 as rectifier in the Sauvignon.

The sound is now very much un-offensive, with lots of detail, correct bass definition and timbre, with no real emphasis on any particular frequency. I suppose it sounds great, but, I don't thing it grabs and captivates the listener.

Setup:
1. WE 350B
2. Tung Sol Round Plates 6SN7 GT - Black Glass
3. Mullard GZ 34

Then I tried the following combination, with the result being a slightly stronger bass definition, with the still non-offensive, neutral sound.
1. Sylvania 6F6G
2. Tung Sol Round Plates 6SN7 GT - Black Glass
3. Mullard GZ 34

Earlier, when using the following combination, the sound had a very rich, seductive mid-range, which totally captivated the listener at the expense of a very strong, bloated bass definition. The vocals sounded so real, it was almost scary.
1. Sylvania 6F6G
2. Ken Rad VT-231 Black Glass
3. Mullard GZ 34

The following combination resulted in a similar sound to the previous, but with slightly less bass, but stil bloated.
1. WE 350B
2. Ken Rad VT-231 Black Glass
3. Mullard GZ 34

I hope this run down helps in your quest to fine tune the pre-amp to your musical taste.

Does anyone else have any ideas as to whether it's possible to maintain a real seductive mid-range, whilst maintaining the correct timbre for bass definition ?
Clipsal, If it is midrange magic you want from a 6SN7GT, then you should try the RCA 6SN7GT/VT-231 grey-glass.
Hi guys, the Philips Mini Watt GZ34 tube that Jpms told us about earlier is the best rectifer that I have tried in my Syrah. I have been using a Bendix Redbank 6106, but compared to the mini watt the 6106 sounds kind of "dark". The philips tube has more top end energy. It is not bright mind you, but it gives cymbals more shimmer. The bass may not be as deep, but it has better definition than any rectifier that I have tried. This is a winner. Thanks Juan.

I am satisfied with what I have done on the Line Stage side ( Mullard EL 37 - Philips Miniwatt / Mullard GZ 34 Miniwatt and Tungsol Black Glass Round Plate 6sn7) for my Cortese and want to do the best I can with the tubes for the phono stage side before my first TT (in twenty five years) arrives in mid to late June.

I would love to hear your favorite complement of tubes for the phono stage on either the Syrah or Cortese. I will be receiving a Teres 340 and will match it with a Graham 2.2 and Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum and am clueless on what to do on the tube side.

Musicality and an emotive sound are my priorities. I would hope for some good detail and solid bass in that order, but not at the expense of the musicality.

I mostly listen to classical (orchestral, chamber music and concertos) , female jazz vocalist and some occasional classic rock.
Any help would be greatly appreciated from our Cognoscenti.