Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
2 months ago I sent my Syrah back to Mick for an upgrade to Chenin. It is no doubt that there is a hugh improvement on the phono stage but the choice of rectifier is sacrificed. I can no longer using Bendix 6106 or even Mullard GZ32 (background noise was heard). Mick explained that both tubes are not running at the proper operating points. For the Bendix, it has greater voltage drop than the 5AR4, puts out 350V against the 5AR4's 370V. The lower voltage doesn't let the regulator work properly. In other words, the regulator is "starved" with the Bendix. Same situation applies on the GZ32 but the noise is not as serious as the Bendix. The phono stage on Chenin is obiviously more demanding and sensitive than Syrah. Any comment?
Ecmlee, the Mullard GZ34 or the Philips Miniwatt GZ34 metal base are better rectifiers then the Bendix or the Mullard GZ32 in my opinion, so rectifiers in your upgraded Syrah shouldn´t be a problem.
BTW I didn´t know that´s possible to upgrade the Syrah to the Chenin status. What´s the cost for it? and, is the final result a "real" Chenin?.
Jazzdude, Amandarae: Thanks very much for the suggestion. Mick gave me some instruction, I found the cause and fixed it: A part got loose and bare wires touched the ground causing short. I glued the part to the frame and the music came up as expected. I will wait patiently for the break in as I learnt from Amandarae. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge. You guys are awesome!
Ecmlee,

I do not know about the Chenin's phono stage being sensitive compared to the Syrah since I have no experience owning the latter. All I know is that I get better feedback replacing the 6C4 tubes than the 6922's in my phono stage. At present, I am using the Sylvania Gold Brand gold pin 6C4 and very happy with the results. A few post above, I tried several other 6C4's and I can say that I am finding the result consistent with what I posted before.