Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Bwhite,
My Cortese was produced around February of 2003 and I bought it from the original owner in September of 2003. I have been told that the Siemens CCa's are excellent and I am going to get a pair of those to try along with a pair of Cryoed Telefunken ULN 6922's - Thanks again

Jazzdude,
Do you or does anyone else know where to pick up the 6C45's? I am having trouble locating some.
Thanks for all of the advice, Larry
Hi Larry, I've had a few pair of the very early (and expensive) Siemens CCa's and they were nearly unlistenable in this preamp for whatever reason. I had read numerous posts on how great the Siemens were and boy was I disappointed.

The Telefunken CCa's are a different story very, very good.

IF you buy the Siemens, be sure you can return them if they do not meet your satisfaction.
Cello

Try these,

http://www.thetubestore.com/sovtekpreamp.html
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/triodeel/6hec69e8.html
http://store.electron-valve.com/so-6c45pi.html
Larry,

Check here for the 6c45pi:

About 2/3 down the page

$40 for a matched pair. They call it the Commie equivilent of the WE 437a. Me thinks not, and I'm not going to spend a hundred bucks to find out. Remember, I need 4 in my Syrah. I still feel there is nothing wrong with that tube. After quite a lot of play, I can still find NOTHING wrong with the phono stage!

I have a matched quad and a matched pair of NOS 5842's that I have to get rid of because of some bad info about interchangability, so be careful if anyone tells you different.

Also, I'll answer you email after I check my calendar.

Joe
Hi Cello. Regarding the 6c45.... I have very little experience with russian tubes other than to say I am not very impressed with most of the ones I have tried whether they are output tubes, input tubes or drivers.As far as the WE 437a being a drop in replacement,sorry I can't help here,I am not so sure without comparing the tube data and curves. However,that said...not all of the russian valves are bad. The miltary version [6n23ev] equivalent of the e88cc/6922 is a very good sounding alternative to nos tubes,it is extremely quiet,very rugged and sounds nothing like the god-awful sounding current sovtek 6922. Bwhite....I am very surprised regarding your observation on the siemen cca relative to the telefunken in the phono of the cortese. I have both the Klimo merlin and the ARC sp-10 preamps that both employ the e88cc/6922 family of tubes. The klimo employs it in its line stage and the sp-10 mk2 throughout. In the sp-10's phono stage,the siemen cca trounces any other equivalent tube on the planet[telies,mullards,amperex's,valvos,or anything else out there for that matter] and it's the same conclusion in the klimo or just about any other application I have employed it in. Both of these preamps are legendary in the high-end industry and are fabulous sounding preamps by anyones standards. Yes... I really like the telefunken sound... but the cca is in another league and I would select any siemen equivalent e88cc,e188cc,7308 over the telie in any of my gear[other than telefunkens own cca version].The sound of a lot of nos tubes can be very system dependent and infact, the telie may be the one that works the best in the phono of the cortese. Most designers today are voicing their equipment with currently made tubes so tube rolling and experimentation is the only way to reach any conclusion. I must say...I am still somewhat perpexed as to the comparison though.