Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Brasso is a bit strong and might smear the chrome finish with prolonged use??

I use Goddards long term silver polishing cloth, gentle enough for expensive jewelery so it should be gentle enough for my black and chrome Cabernet preamp, which incidently, looks like 'audio jewelery' to me !

Regards,

Steve M.
Hi guys,

I'm considering getting a Chardonney - no plans to play LDs. Would Chardonney be a good match for a Perreaux EP-220 (220W SS amp) and Mirage M7-si speakers?
I just dropped a pair of WE 350B's into my Cortese about 3 weeks ago and am more than thrilled with the fantastic results. They continue to improve (did not think that to be possible) as they break in.
I thought I had gotten as far as possible with improving the sound of my Cortese by tube rolling andwas quite happy, but I kept reading and re-reading all of the talk about how great and how expensive the 350's are. Finally, I found a pair of 350's on ebay at a relatively good price (still a killer), but it has been well worth the money spent.
I replaced a pair of NOS Philips 1963 Miniwatt / Mullard EL37’s with the WE 350B’s and the improvement was startling. The EL37’s had produced wonderful sound and I was quite content, but you know, the disease got me and I popped for the 350’s – great move.
I would highly recommend the EL 37’s for the regulator position, but if you are in a position to pick up a good pair of WE 350B’s, do it.
Given that the 350’s should last longer at the regulator position longer than I will on the planet, this should turn out to be one of my better aggressive decisions.
I am thinking I can sell them to Bryan White in about 20 years and make a tidy profit.
Hi Cello - Hopefully I'll be around to buy them from you.

Just curious, what rectifier tube are you using with the 350B's?

I'm still stuck on the Bendix 6106 - it was weird sounding and almost nauseating when I first started using it but after a few months of break in, became unbeatable.

Anyone know of a source for fat base Mullard GZ34's?
Hi Bryan,
I am using a 5AR4 Philips Miniwatt Holland Metal Base NOS 1957 (same as Mullard GZ34)
I got my Mullard EL 37's and GZ34's from Brendan Biever email him at tekman@tubeworld.com or check out his website http://www.tubeworld.com.
Brendan's not cheap, but he has a great selection of high quality tubes and is quite honest.
I have bought from him 4 or 5 times and been more than happy each time. He is also a good source for 6922 and it's variants.
You can call or email me directly if I can be of any help.
Good Luck and let us know how you make out.
All the best, - Larry