Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
HI Jay461 if you want to have a sweeter sound with your SS try RCA VT231 grey glass.

If you want a substitute in almost the same ligue for Philips Miniwatt metal base look for GZ34 of these kind:

-bakelite black base
-with good flash down the top mica
-double D getters
-4 notch plates
-from the late 50,s and early 60´s
-branded GE or RCA. (with hole in center of base pin)
You can find them maybe as low as around $30-$40 if you look patienly.

I like 4 cut and double getter better than 8 cut single getter. 4 cut double
getter is older, single getter was a cost cutting measure, cost cutting is
usually bad for sound quality.
Around the middle 60's the tube companies tried to cut production costs and
many changes were bad for sound.
My favorite GZ34 bakelite base was from late 50's. Like 1959 was a great
sounding year!.

But again the best are Philips Miniwatt , Mullard or Valvo GZ34
metal base. They are the best althogh hard to say for how much compared with the GZ34 bakelite base.
Hi,
I am wondering any Supratek fellow out there tried a pair of Mullard CV181 in the line stage (especially in the Chenin/Syrah)? How does it compare to the Tung-Sol round plates or Ken Rad black glass?
I use Mullard CV181 / ECC32's in my Cortese. Take note, they are electronically different than 6SN7's. You can see photos of 'em in my system - good looking tubes to be sure. I think they sound very nice - much like the TungSol Rounds.

Regarding the different electrical properties, I tried the CV181's in a friends Syrah and for whatever reason the preamp remote control stopped working and there was very low gain while the CV181's were in. Perhaps Ecclectique
can explain?

NOS CV181's are hard to find & quite pricey.
Bryan,

Thanks for the feedback. I agreed that those are really good looking tubes. I read from somewhere that the CV181's require higher current on the plates than the regular 6sn7 varieties, maybe that's the issue. Is it possible that the higher current rated GZ37 or GZ33 or even the 6106 could do better in this case than the GZ34.
Eccletique the guru might be able to comment on this.

Maybe I should continue with the quest for the TungSol rounds instead if they are sonically close. The TungSols are almost non-existent nowadays, sigh! It is starting to feel like an itch that the hands can't get to.
Opusone,
Please stop looking for Tungsols. You are just making it harder for the rest of us to find a good pair. Besides, they are not really any good.