Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
It took me only five minutes to follow the advice of TWL on buying a Chenin, but more than a month to read this wonderful thread! Thank you very much Slowhand, Ecclectique, Amandarae, Bwhite, Jpms, Cello, Streven1960, Jazzdude, Tubegroover, Asa, Fiddler, and the rest of the Supratek gang for all the information about this wonderful preamplifier. After a month in my system, I concur that this is a very special piece of equipment. Following TWL’s advice I’ve assembled in the last couple of years a SET/Lowther based rig and I listen mostly to jazz music. I am using right now a Linn Sondek/Ekos/Goldring Elite and Electrocompaniet EMC 1 UP front end, a Supratek Chenin pre, Wright Sound 3.5, Bottlehead Parabee 300b and Electrocompaniet AW 220 amplifiers (a long story behind this combination ), and Lowther EX 4 in a Voigt Pipe enclosure and Silverline Sonatas as speakers (the second installment of the previous long story ). A REL Stadium II is the subwoofer. Cables are all Electraglides (Silver Reference and Speakerglides). The best sound I’ve ever had in my life! The Chenin replaced an aging Audible Illusions 3A and the difference is notorius. I’ve already replaced the stock 6SN7 with a pair of Ken Rad Black Glass 6SN7, the rectifier with an RCA 5V4, the stock 5881 with a pair of Tung Sol 5881 and the 6922 with a pair of Amperex 6922 White label. After finishing reading the entire thread last night, I will buy the already famous Sylvanias 6F6G and either the Mullard GZ34 or the Philips Miniwatts. Any idea where to look at for those two tubes? Thank you very much one more time, and happy new year. Pablo.
Hello K.D.occonor. I cannot help much on a direct comparison of the supratek to the ARC ref 2 as I have never heard the ref 2 in my own rig. I have owned and very much enjoyed many ARC products over the years. From the original sp-3a preamp, sp-6a to B, sp-8 mk2, sp-10 mk2 [still own] and a brief stint with the sp-11. For me anyway..... the last great preamp from ARC ended with the sp-10. I should qualify things here: I voice all my preamps with vinyl as my main source, as 90% of my listening is through the phono stage. ARC seemed to move into the high resolution, wide bandwidth camp with the introduction of the sp-11 series.I never really cottoned to that sound. For me it was far too clinical or bleached out and robbed the emotion and tonal integrity of the sp-10. I have heard the arc ref 2 on a few occasions in other systems and to my ear... I would still classify it in that same camp, albeit far more refined and articulate than the sp-11. Comparing the line stage of the older sp-10 to the supratek? NO Contest sir. The sp-10 is full bodied with a large and deep soundstage, a somewhat rounded bloomy bottom end and makes for a credible facsimilee of the illusion. However.... the supratek's line stage makes music sound more alive with emotion, it's abilty to retrieve that fine nuance and low level micro imformation thats masked or buried in lesser preamps. Added to it's uncanny dynamic range and bass weight adds up to getting you closer to the sound of a live event. It's clarity and coherency is unmatched in my experience.No contest here! You may want to post here where you reside and perhaps someone close will give you a listen. Even better if you could get a reference 2 for comparative purposes. All the best in your endevour sir.
Hey Pablo. A very nice post sir and I am happy you are enjoying the supratek. I am sure the chenin hasn't even come into it's own yet, as you will need at least a good 300 hours run in time to settle in. It just get's better with age! Your system is very well thought out and it's also great to see another vinyl rig. Tom[twl] is very well versed in the vinyl medium as well as the his many years of experience in the audio industry and IMO nothing beats hands on experience. A highly qualified mentor indeed. Re: 6f6g's. I service and repair old Juke boxes and early radios and generally have a supply of 6f6g's, however...I have exhausted my supply for many of the supratek gang here on this thread. I have contacted a few other of my techie freinds in a search for matched pairs and it's getting to be slim pickings out there. I am sure more will come my way as most of the techies don't give a damn what 6f6 they use. When they find them, I trade them 2 to 1 for new 6f6gt metals. PS: the 6f6gt metals are horrendous in the supratek. The coke bottle g versions with the round plates are what were after here however some of the smaller straight glass gt versions are really very good as well. Their are many 6f6gt versions.... some with flat plates and some with the same rounded plate construction of the coke bottle 6f6g. The rounded plate versions are the only applicable tube choice for regulation duty.
Pablo,

Glad to hear from another very satisfied Supratek owner! Indeed, the preamp is special. I have no regrets from the money and time spent waiting to own this superb piece of equipment.

As for the 6F6G's, there are several sources. I bought NOS Sylvanias from DIYcable.com. During my shopping, I found the ff. stores that carry them:

http://www.audiotubes.com/bjtubes.htm

http://www.vacuumtubesinc.com/new2.html

The "brands" they carry are not listed on the site. You have to e-mail them to ask for availability of the brand you like.
I highly recommend the NOS Sylvania 6F6G Round plates dark glass (Blk. and Green carton). I sold my Gold Lion KT-66 and GEC Clear Glass KT-66 who used to be my favorite regulators after hearing the Sylvania 6F6G's.

Good Luck and Happy New Year to All!!!
Pablo,
Congratulations on your Chenin, a nicely designed system and your obvious joy.
Do wait for 300+ hours suggested by Ecclectique to pass by before starting your tube rolling. Roll only one set of tuebs at a time and live with them for a while before starting on the next set or position. Do invest in some of David's suggestions as well as some great NOS tubes.
You might want to give some BMI power cords a test drive (specifically the Sharks, Whale Supremes of Orca Generation 2's). I would be happy to loan you a Shark to audition (for loan only, don't want to sell it). Email me offline if you have an interest.
Happy New Year - enjoy your bliss....
Rgds, Larry