Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Hi Larry, l thought l would post my repsonse to your other thread here before it gets lost in all the possum vs Coon and red wine chatter!

Cheers

There wouldn't be many around that have heard both, myself included. l bought the Chardonnay so l didnt have to wonder.

l would call Mick. l find him honest, he will tell it like it is and not just try and sell you the more expensive pre. He will explain the circuit differences etc and the sound differences, you can then decide if its worth it to you.

Cheers
Braro,

Do you mean that the manual says "Syrah" but you have the Chenin?

The Change in name from Syrah to Chenin as I recall Mick explained to me was necessary because of the new phono section implemented. If your preamp uses 417A or variants in the phono section, then you have a Syrah. If it uses 6C4 and 6922, then it is definitely a Chenin.

Yes, the manual mentions "Syrah" but if you look at the very first page, it says, and I quote, ..."Thank you for purchasing a Supratek Chenin Preamp.....".

Also, I believe the Syrah has a Master Volume Control. My Chenin does not have one.

I could be wrong but that is what I got.

cheers!
Amandarae,
My pre has 6922 and M8081. The manual does refer to the pre as a Chenin. Both pre and power supply say "Syrah" in the bottom left corner.

When you mention "master volume" are you refering to the adjustable gain on the back of the pre?

Thanks
Braro,

Mine (Chenin) uses 6922 and M8080(6C4). I do not know about the M8081. I do not see any markings that says Chenin or Syrah on mine either.

"When you mention "master volume" are you refering to the adjustable gain on the back of the pre?"

The Syrah has a "master level switch" on the back panel which has 5 positions. Does your preamp have the same?

Mine does not. Maybe because my preamp has an optional independent (L and R) balance control. So Mick did not include the Master Level Switch.

Ask Mick directly. I am pretty sure he will calrify whatever doubts you have.
CORRECTION!

Braro,

My mistake! My preamp has a label for both the PS and the pre which says "Chenin", date of manufacture, and serial number to the location you specified previously.

cheers!