Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Hi Fiddler

You wrote: "I have the gain on the "low" setting on my Chardonnay and I still can't turn the volume up past 9 o'clock."

Please help me understand why it is important to be able to turn the volume past 9 o'clock? My system sounds best with the Chardonnay set to the "high" setting and I hardly play beyond 9 o'clock.
Fiddler - where did you purchase the Mundorf Silver Supremes? Were the cap values clearly indicated on the caps or did you have to get that info from Mick? Thanks.
Ethifi - picture the signal your speakers recieve as a 3-way pie chart composed of source signal, preamp signal, poweramp signal. the higher you are able to turn up the volume on the preamp then the more you hear of the preamp and the less you hear of your source and poweramp (relatively speaking). whether this will sound better or not is a matter of system synergy and listner preference.
Jazzdude,

Sorry for the delay.

I purchased the Mundorfs from Madisound.

I can't remember if the cap values were on the stock caps or not. The stock caps were two small square caps about the size of a box of matches mounted on their sides. They are wired on one end from another larger, square cap and wired to the tube socket on the other end. They are located in the very front of the preamp.

As I recall Mick gave me the original location and value of the caps. They are 1 uf caps.

Mick could probably give you better info than me :o , but the difference in my Supratek is staggering by just replacing these two caps.
Hey Gang. Anyone else using the Grange with the px4? I am seriously considering ordering one but I am a little apprehensive as I would have to part with either my syrah or the cortese to raise the funds. Would be nice to hear a little feedback from a supratek user that has upgraded to the Grange. I have a welbourne labs attenuator on order for the Cortese but it's currently in a back order situation. Wouldn't make the move until I have installed it in the cortese but was hoping some users will post in the meantime. Thanks David