Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Ecclectique,
At the moment I am using a VDH Black beauty Special X.
I am awaiting a new TT and Schroeder arm and considering an ZYX Universe. I just have to make sure it is a definite upgrade worth the money. Expensive! I hope the new set up will be with me for a very long time so it may make sense to make this final cart. purchase
Doc, the Cca not only lowers the noise level, which I really didn't feel necessary either, but to expand the dynamics and increase the detail in the phono section. As Ecclectique articulates, there are many less expensive 6922 substitutes that will kick your phono stage up a couple levels at an affordable cost.
Hello gang. Fiddler... thanks for the heads up, as I doubt I put anymore than 20 hours of seat time with the EH6sn7's in the syrah.I will certainly run them in again as I do like their tonal balance. DOC... You mentioned a little hum at very high gain in the phono stage. Hum, as opposed to tube rush or tube noise is generally a grounding issue somewhere between the cartridge/arm and cable interface to the phono stage. A 60hz buzz that piggybacks the signal from your cartridge and sometimes can be a pain in the butt to get rid of.
Ecclectique and Mustang
Hi, I located the 1957 Philips Mini Watt metal base GZ34. I am looking forward to giving that a try. Expensive but it seems it may be well worth it. Also located a set of 6SN7
Tung-sol round plates. This should be fun. I researched this topic for quite a long time. They appear to be great suggestions.
Have you guys tried out any 7308's in the phono stage?
I was also advised that the 6F6 tube works well in the regulator position? Mick built my Cortese with 4 regulator tubes so it gets a bit more difficult.
Ecclectique, I will revisit the hum issue I raised. I hope I did not make too much of it. It is not there under most db levels. It may in fact be more of a tube rush noise but only at very high levels. I do run an all tube system.
Atma-sphere amps. I will check this out. Overall I think this is a very quite pre.
Thanks for all the great info.
Fiddler,

I agree with you completely on your findings of the EH6sn7's. I bought mine used and I believe they are broken in. I think they sound fantastic. Plenty of body and weight to the music with great dynamics. On CD's I feel they are just as good as my TS rounds, on phono the TS may be a hair better, but not enough to worry about. I have had my EH6sn7's in my Syrah ever since I got them and fell I am missing nothing at not having my NOS tubes in. Doc, you have my mouth watering when you describe the sound of your Cortese. These last few weeks of waiting will be the worst.