Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Hello Steven1960,

I know you live near Mick. What can you tell us about the KT-88 amp that is on Mick's website? Has he built one yet? I would love to own a Supratek amp to go with my Cortese, but the Merlot does not have enough power for my system.
slowhand:

i too am anxiously awaiting more info on this amp. your comment from last week about a $3000 price point had me all giddy inside. last time i emailed mick, he said nothing was definite yet as he was still testing longevity. i'll have to wait with baited breath and enjoy my cary's for now.
I would not count on the $3000 price. I hope he can come in near that price, but I remember when he was in the planning stages of the Burgandy amps. Mick was hoping for about $3500 and they ended up being $9000!! I spoke with Mick about building an amp in the price range of the Syrah/Chenin. He said he was working on one. I hope this is it. If he can keep the price down as he did with the Syrah/Chenin, then Mick is going to be a very busy man!
My order for a Cabernet has become a 101/2 month wait. I am torn at this point to take Micks offer of refunding my deposit, (70%, dumb on my part) and look elswhere, or should I stick it out, although on principal, I am upset with the lack of info coming from Australia along with my dissapointment with endless delays, I ultimatley want to get the best preamp for my system. Other alternatives at this point are a Mac 2200 and a VAC sig MKI. What would the loyal following of the Supratek sound, which influnenced my decision to order a Supratek, do in my case?
Hello Larry,

I waited almost 1 year to get my Cortese! Was it worth the wait? Absolutely! I know it seems to take forever, but the music coming from my Cortese is pure pleasure. Once you hear your pre for the first time you forget about that long wait. Hang in there. I think part of the long wait is because Mick is coonstantly experimenting with ways to improve the sound of his products and he is developing new products as he builds preamps for people.