Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Gain switch is set to second to max.
>Is the cart you are using of relatively high output (say- above .9mV or more)?

Changing cartridge load switch make tape hiss to disappear.
But on max 47k I believe tape hiss is really loud.

I do not have lp yet so I do not have any cartridge.
Just switching to phone is giving me loud tape hiss what worries me.
On line level inputs Chenin is quiet .
> Maybe something to do with ground?
I tried to ground it but it has given me additional loud hum.
I think Braro has nailed it. I assume that you are saying there is nothing connected to the phono input at this point? if so, the noise you are hearing is probably a ground issue due to the high gain at the phono input.
To test this, connect a set of IC's to the phono input and switch to the phono setting, you should hear less hiss, but some may still be present without a load on that input.
I did test with IC's to no avail.
There is hum too.
I can hear my power supply hum (not that loud), but Clayton monoblocks (they have 1kV transformers) are dead quiet.
So I understand that somebody with quiet Chenin phono, after disconnecting LP from it will have a lot of tape hiss noise, like me ? Is that right ?
That has been my experience with my Chenin. When selector is in phono position with TT hooked up and grounded - dead quiet. When selector is in phono position and no TT hooked up - hum and some hiss.