Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
This is interesting ...about capacitor rolling.

http://6moons.com/audioreviews/caprolling/caps.html

Regards,

Steve.
I noticed you have the Linkwitz Orion open baffle loudspeaker, what's your honest opinion of it? I've been interested to try it out, is it as transparent as the Maggies or is it just cones & domes doing their usual thing? Also, does the OB bass go low enough for you (I notice you have separate subwoofers)...

Hello Steve,

The Orions are the best speakers I ever heard! No other speakers that I heard off exhibits the same dynamics and bass impact what the Orions (4 x Peerless XLS subwoofers in dipole config)can do. Granted that I only heard a handful of the speakers through my audition but I can assure you, it will kill the Wilsons or VR's with a price tag of $8-10K in terms of dynamics no matter what amps you use for them. Hard to believe eh!

I was an electrostatic die hard. Also was an maggie head. Even if you love SS gears, the maggies and the Martin Logans I own are easily bested by the Orions to my ears.

I am now exploring the high efficiency/SET domain and to be honest, I really like it. No, I do not have subwoofers! Only for HT where I still have a Velodyne but there is no pics of it in my system page.

I now have an Altec 604-8G's in OB. Bass cannot be compared to the Orions of course nor the "dynamic" impact where the Orions really excell. But knowing my limitations with power(SET)and damping factor which needs to be considered also, and the fact that it is single driver open baffle implementation, I cannot complain. I am happy of what I got and I know it can only get better. Besides, the Altec 604's excells on its ability to provide pin point imaging and not to provide very flat response across the freq spectrum.

regards,
Stevem1960,

Did you just have deja vu?

Wasn't this cap rolling link just discussed, with you participating, just a little higher in this thread?

I don't get it.
Hi Fiddler, yes caps were discussed earlier but now expanded upon by Srajan as a fullblown 6moons article which I haven't seen before.

Abe: thanks for the comments on the Orion, sounds like worth following up on. I too am into SETs and point source drivers at the moment, currently Lowther DX3 in OB or Martin King's MLTL box.

Steve.
Stevem,

I guess this is why I am confused.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?aamps&1016931418&openflup&3285&4#3285

The link that you provided is the exact same link we all discussed last time. You actually posted in the cap rolling discussion that several of us were engaged as a result of the article.

Memory is the second thing to go :)