Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Yes, it is true. I exchanged e-mails with Mick. He is just not making a profit anymore. He told me he had to step up production to make any money, and he felt quality was suffering as a result. Mick is very proud of the preamps he builds and he is not willing to let quality suffer. He is going to manage a vineyard and he seems very excited about it. As a result of starting the "Preamp of the Century" thread, I felt I had become good friends with Mick. The news hit me pretty hard, but I told Mick that he has to do what makes him happy. I wish him all the best in his new endeavor.

I hope this won't mean the end of this thread, as I have made many new friends here. Mick should be in the audio hall of fame for his brilliant designs. As you know, specs never meant much to Mick. The music is all that mattered to him. HERE'S TO YOU MICK!
Hi Guys.
yes it's true- I'm afraid I'm going to have to wind up Supratek, at least for now. It's gotten very hard to make a living with the Chinese competition and the exchange rate.
I would have to double the prices to get back to a reasonable return , and then you get into the market where it's all hype and opinion over good innovative circuitry , which has always been the strength and fun of Supratek.
I'll finish off the orders we have, and maybe my assistant might do a few Chardonnays in the future , but pleased be assured that i'll always be available to help with any warranty issues or questions.
It's been fun and a pleasure to deal with everyone, even the crazy besotted audiophiles with their mad "upgrades" .
Thanks to everyone for their support, especially Dan and Kevin ,truly wonderful generous people .
And to Tom who started this thread so long ago.
Who knows- maybe Supratek might come back , but it's a different world now than it was 10 years ago, and for now i have other obligations.
Look after yourselves, and your families.
Mick
All the Best in your future ventures Mick ...

Its a wonderful thing you have done to create Supratek, all those shining pre-amplifiers glowing in the dark, continuing to give listening pleasure to hundreds of music lovers Worldwide ...your legacy lives on.

You may have hung up the soldering iron for now, but I suspect the passion for good music continues to beat in your heart, so we shall see what the the future brings.

Best regards,

Steve.
Mick-

Thanks for everything you have done to advance the art of bringing a truly wonderful preamp to the market at a real world price.

My Supratek is not only a joy to listen to, but a joy to look at as well. Every time I fire it up for a listening session I will think of you with great fondness.

I wish you the best on whatever road you go down, and I wish you and your family health and happiness.
Mick, from what you've said here and in the e-mail that you sent me, I understand how you feel.

You need a change of pace but I suspect you'll be back when the market is more favorable (stronger dollar etc). Hopefully now you'll have a slower pace of life with enough time to do some R&D work at your leisure which will contribute to an even better product. I'll be waiting for the Cabernet Dual Signature Edition.

All The Best,
Frank