Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
My Supratek also had some issues (response of the phono was messed up), and while I would agree that Mick should not have been in charge of service (denying the problem, rude emails, etc), I would like to say that Kevin Covi, the US repair tech for Supratek, is awesome. He fixed me up, politely, professionally and promptly.

So, without questioning the integrity of others, aside from technical/service issues, the Supratek Syrah is still an excellent sounding $2,500 preamp. Best in the world? Probably not... but I would not hesitate to A/B it to any $5,000 preamp
interesting experiences some have had. some people love their suprateks and apparently some people got screwed out of money. very interesting to say the least. i guess i was one of the lucky ones.
Sorry to hear that people lost money and have unresolved problems. I hope you get your due.
I quess I am fortunate to have no problems. I had a channel imbalance after a few months of ownership and it was taken care of quickly. Kevin did the service and I was very satified.
Thank God, been 2 yrs. with no issues. I still enjoy the sound.

Can anybody tell me if I could use a 5u4g in the rectifer postion, emailed Mick haven't gotten a reply yet.

Want to try the EML 5U4G mesh plate, looks like a very nice new production tube. Anybody try them?

Ait,
I don't know what is it in my post, that made an impression, I was looking for a fight?
Does it come across as a little bit angry? That's probably because I'm angry.
Allow me to explain why:
First, I wasted many months waiting for the new amps, significantly longer, than was promised. The whole amount was paid upfront, of course.
Then, I recieve the amps visibly damaged, with the chassis of both units bent. One of the amps blew a tube and a fuse immediately upon turnung on, so I didn't dare to switch it on again.
Did I mention how poorly was it packaged?
I contacted Mick, sent him pictures of the units and boxes, so he could initiate claim with Fed Ex.
Clearly, I didn't want him to fix the amp and send them back to me, that wouldn't be a brand new amps, I paid for, whould it? At the very best, they would qualify, as refurbished, which again, not something, I paid the full price for.
So, being pretty much fed-up with all this, I politely asked Mick, if he would be willing to refund me my money.
I have to give Mick credit for agreeing to pay back, I would imagine, he could have said no.
And that's where it is, almost two years later- I owed $2000 still, no response to my last e- mail.
Before somebody tries to make an argument about refunds-
Imagine paying full retail price, 6 months in advance, for a custom made, brand new Mercedes, and have it delivered to you with body damage and two cylinders not working. Would you like it fixed and re- delivered to you anyway?
My Grange arrived DOA and was sent for repairs twice. Not being a gambling man at heart, I sold it shortly after the second remediation.

However, when operating properly, it was one of the finest preamps I ever owned.

The phono stage was killer.