Preamplifier: Yes or NO ?

I post this thread because I want to know your opinion about the use of the preamplifier or if no preamplifier is better. A few years ago I tried the old Wadia 6 CD Player with volumen control. Althought it sounded very well without preamplifier I felt the sound lost body.
I red that many brands improved the volumen control in they CD Players so I want to know if you could compare with or without preamplifier.
So if you have CD Player like Wadia, Mark Levinson or Audio Aero, please let me know your opinion.
Thanks.
elduende14
NO--in my system I only have one source, an Audio Aero Capatole mk2. I tried it with my BAT VK50se and without. I sold the BAT and bought some nice IC's. In my system, and to my ears it clearly sounds better going direct!!! You will have to try it for yourself in your room with your system. There is no right or wrong.
FWIW. Bought a Wadia 302 and connected it to my preamps(s) as per the conventional wisdom and the reviews recommendations as well. Yawn!

Connected direct to 4 different amps, 3 tubed, one SS = 1 ok, 2 duds, and one with outstanding results and I now have the best sound I've ever had and without a pre-amp. Pays to keep and open mind and experiment if you can!
preamps can add some "solor" to the sound. given the dubious sound quality of most cds and some lps, a preamp, especially a vintage tube specimen, is necessary to avoid ear fatigue.
Mrtennis: What is "solor?" Regardless, you offer no proof -- just your opinion, which, given your stated preferences, isn't worth a great deal to many of us in Audiogon Land.

I have found that a Wadia 861 SE with the Great Northern Sound Company Reference mod run directly to my ARC VT100MKIII sounds pretty darn good with no "ear fatigue" whatsoever. It's crucial, though, to set the internal switches correctly so that the majority of your listening is done in the 70-100 volume range. A lot of people don't do that and conclude that it doesn't sound good. That is hardly the proper way to make an evaluation.

Oh, I tried several high-end preamps, including ones from Audio Research and Pass, and thought the Wadia sounded better IN MY SYSTEM without the preamp.
I think that if the current and impedance matches between the source and amp match well it is best to avoid the complexity, circuitry, and power supplies of an active preamplifier. You still need a very high quality volume control and there are not too many better than those found on the Placette passive preamps.