Primaluna - Rolling pre tubes question...

I'm new to rolling tubes, and have been using the stock 12AU7.
I've a PL Prologue premium integrated with 2 12AU7's per channel. I want to test a new pair(before investing in more), so wondering if front or rear position would best reveal the new tubes character?

Thanks,
Darren
128x128dmhenley
Thanks Kevin for the update. Mine isn't near broke in but so far I like the sound with the stock tubes. I ordered KT120s when Kevin shipped the amp but haven't rolled them yet.
My experience with Black Treasures versus standard Sino tubes is that the Black Treasures have more body to the sound - richer, more detailed
Thank you Kevin!
This thread has been very helpful for me.

And I have found exactly what you've described with the Cifte. I have them back in the center position, and they have settled in - Very happy overall.
I've lived with the Primaluna Premium integrated for about 2 years, heres where I have settled

1) tube dampers a must... subliminal screechiness for female chorus and strings otherwise that eventually becomes irritating.
2) Kt-150's work wonderfully all around for power tubes but give up some vs EL34 on the human voice. But the EL34 can't do cymbals right.
3) Telefunken 12AU7 hard to beat for all 4 small tubes
4) Amperex/Holland Bugle Boy 12AU7 in front sockets with Telefunken 12AU7 in back is also very good and a little more mellow
Hi Davide256 I've never used tube dampers in a PrimaLuna. I'll try some for fun. Tube dampers are never "always good" or "always bad" as it depends on that single tube in your hand. A little bit of microphony can be good. It's something you have to try.

I am so glad we went with as many 12AU7's as we have. It's great for tube rolling. There are some new PrimaLuna products coming out that will use 12AU7's and 12AX7's come January.

There will be a tube headphone amp that can be run two different ways. And incredible phono stage designed in a way I've not seen before. And a DAC that is all-tube, dual mono, tube rectified, and uses a tube to address jitter (only found in PrimaLuna)

They are in prototyping now. I won't say anything more. I was supposed to keep my mouth shut.