Problem with my Sony SCD-777ES

My Sony has developed a problem. It generally refuses to play SACDs, and when it will play them, it does so with a very audible mechanical clicking sound. A bit temperamental with redbook CDs as well.

Here in the SF Bay Area, Sony no longer has a repair depot that accepts customer drop-offs. I would need to ship the unit to them, which I would prefer to avoid if possible. To get counter service, I need to go to a Sony authorized service provider, but I wonder if any of these shops really know what they are doing with a unit like the 777.

Any thoughts?
Ag insider logo xs@2xdrubin
Got the unit back yesterday, less than 4 weeks after I shipped it off. Not too bad. Paperwork is skimpy, but indicates they replaced a motor. Seems to be working just fine. No charge, of course.

Interestingly, I shipped it to Sony in Fremont, California. It was returned (UPS overnight) from Sony in Westwood, Mass. Like that garment bag of mine that once went from San Francisco to London by way of Bangkok.
These messages are very old! Has anyone experienced the "NO DISC" problem on the SCD777ES recently? I was so happy to have gotten a used machine on AudiogoN auction, but after a week, it started to randomly refuse to play CD's and SACD's after reading TOC. Sometimes it would wait for a long time before it started playing a track. Other times it would stop playing in the middle of a track. This morning it stopped working altogether - displaying "NO DISC" on every disc I inserted. The serial number is 800134, if it helps anything.
Looks like you've got the same problem as noted above. In my case, it finally started happening, but a simple cleaning of the mechanism (which I had done at the same time as some upgrades from Richard Kern) fixed the problem for me. Others have not been so lucky, some requiring replacement of the sled motor or other repairs involving the laser mechanism. Check the archives, there's a lot of threads about this problem, both here and at Audio Asylum.