Projection Screen

Hi all!

I am looking to buy a projection screen to create my home theater. Does anyone know what to look for when buying a good quality projection screen with a black frame? There are so many projection screens out there but are they any good? What is a good brand or does it not matter?

Also, when you buy a projection screen, does it usually come with the black frame or where do I go to buy a nice looking black frame to go with the screen material? Does the frame usually come assembled or do you have to out it together yourself? I assume the frame will come with a user manual to show you how to put the frame together.

Thanks!
mantaraydesign
Buying a screen is a bit more involved than You might think.

Lots of variables will narrow down the type... by whom and what size or construction (pull down, wall mount, fromt or rear PJ) and then the level is usually attached to your wallet.

Considerations such as light controled or some ambient lighting are in order too. Not too much info comes from here on the subject of projectors or screens... try the HT shack, or AV forum.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/

http://www.avsforum.com/

Premade, wall mounted screens come with any assortment of snap together, or bolt together frames. Some come with a velvet, or velvet-like wrap materials on them and some don't.

The Projector People usually can and will answer some questions you may have and point you to some options.

I did a good bit of research then went DIY on my screen.... 115 in. wall mounted. I'm using DLP PJ. it looks pretty good by all accounts.... before I closed off the room from ambient light and painted the room a darker color and changed the carpeting to a darker shade. Now I suspect it's gonna pop better. I bought the screen material at ebay for about $100. Some two by fours and braces at the adult toy store, HD, and for under $150 ... it'll do nicely...

in HT matching the screen to the room and PJ is important, but it'll surprise you how little it takes to provide a great show in the end.

go around and look at some of the ones out there first, read the threads on the HT sites, do some dcalling, and you'll be fine in no time.

Good luck, and have fun!
Post removed 
Best bang for the buck is probably at carada.com. Some assembly required.

I painted my screen on the wall and it works beautifully for less than $40.

Go to avsforum.com for tons and tons of info on DIY and commercial screens. You'll probably hate me later because you'll end up knowing more about screens than you thought was possible.