Question About DACs

My CDP runs an internal Burr-Brown 24-bit DAC, and a Crystal Semiconductor CS8420 sample-rate converter chip that upsamples the CD data to 96kHz. It’s an older CDP obviously, but are the newer external multibit DACs, such as the Schiit Gumby and Bitfrost, far superior to what I have now? Or, would any improvement be a slight one? Thanks.

rlb61
Thanks for the excellent information, George. I'm debating between the Schiit Gumby Multibit and Bitfrost Multibit. Any preference between the two?
Haven't heard those two, but the Yaggy is very good and they all come from the same stables. 
Schiit's  Mike Moffat the designer is no slouch, he made Theta Digital no. in dacs when he was with them.

Cheers George 
Like you I had read about the huge improvement in dacs in recent years and wondered  if my 10 year old Exemplar/Denon player was out of date. I decided to buy a Topping D50 given the excellent measurements
 and reviews, together with an affordable price and assertions that it was as good as any dac costing around $1000. When it arrived and was hooked up I could hear little or no difference between the Topping and my older player. I then tried it against an Oppo universal DVD, SACD ,CD player . Again no real dissernable difference. So what can one conclude from that? Maybe the Exemplar and Oppo players are really good, the Topping is not as good as its cracked up to be or maybe you have to spend mega bucks on one of those stupidly named Daves, Hugos etc to hear a difference and that's not going to happen. I don't know anything about the Schiit dacs but I know if I'm tempted to try other dacs it will only be on a sale or return basis.
@ketchup

Even Schiit states their $100 DAC is their best measuring one; it’s also no coincidence that that’s the first DAC they made after getting an Audio Precision analyzer to actually measure the stuff they are selling.

The fact that George says R2R Multibit is bit-perfect and D/S DACs aren’t is just nonsense.