Question for Velvet Underground fans

Heard a VU tune on the radio today, but i didn't know it was VU. Sounded like a current band trying to cover early Lou Reed, but with a more "modern" yet "retro" sound. As such, i was kind of shocked to find out it really was Lou Reed / VU and that the music had held up as well as it did.

Now that that part is over with, the tune kept repeating something about being 5 years old, etc... What is the name of this tune and what album is it on ? Is this a good album to become familiarized with VU recordings or should i start somewhere else ? I prefer NOT to buy "greatest hits" as it seems like you miss so much of the band by not hearing the "less popular" stuff. For those that have both, do VU recordings sound better on LP or vinyl ? Sean
>
sean
Thanks Rock. That is the right tune now that you mention the name of it. Hopefully, someone will be familiar with all of their releases. Then again, i could always start at the beginning and work my way through them : ) Sean
>
I like "Loaded", but true Velvet U. fans don't hold it that high regard. Something about it being overly commercial. True, I would only listen to side 1, but it's one of the greatest sides of rock music. Really, how can anybody resist an album with a song about someone who kissed Robert Mitchum?

Audiophile bonus points to anybody who can name the New York FM station that the song referred to.
Au contrare, Onhwy61, true Velvets fans hold them all in high regard, and you are obviously one.

Sean, if you want to appreciate the roots of alternative rock (in the original sense of the phrase), you need to throw caution to the wind and get them all. The three original Verve label releases are "The Velvet Underground and Nico" (1966), "White Light/White Heat" ('67), and "The Velvet Underground" ('69). The 'lost' fourth Verve record material is contained in the outstanding 80's compilation entitled "VU". They then moved to Cotillion for their fifth and last studio album, "Loaded" ('70). More material from the vaults was assembled on a subsequent release to "VU", entitled "Another View", and live albums were put out after their break-up, "Live at Max's Kansas City" and "1969". My favorites are the first, third, lost 'forth', second, and fifth, in that order. ("Another View" and the live stuff can be put off until you're a devotee.) Although the second record, "White Light..." is essential in more ways than one, it is by far the toughest listen, being the first rock record steeped in noise, and quite poorly recorded. (FWIW, the best-sounding disk is probably "VU", but none of their output could be considered audiophile material, no matter what format.) 'Guest vocalist' Nico's contributions to the first album are either loved or hated, but the haters aren't VU fans, period (same regarding John Cale's viola work). Whatever you get first, just get started. As the saying goes, 10 years ahead of their time, and the main inspiration of a few thousand later bands.
Sean,
The song is called "Rock & Roll". The original album was called "Loaded". Rhino records has re-issued it on CD as a double album, sounds really good. R2 72563 is the number. This was the Velvet Underground's last album recorded together. It is a great place to start.
The original vinyl is on Cotillion SD9034, a little hard to find, but worth it.
"Rock & Roll" can also be found on "1969 Velvet Underground Live", Mercury SPM-2-7504 (Vinyl).
Also the solo album by Lou Reed "Rock n Roll Animal" has a killer version.
The Velvet Underground was one of the best rock and roll bands of all time. Their music holds up well now its hard to believe they were around ~ 1965-1970.
I highly recommend all their music. Their time together as a band is interesting to read about as well.
Its nice to help you for once, seing as how you have written many an interesting word in these forums.
Cheers.
The first record (banana cover) is a real watershed. Almost all the tunes on it will play back in the head automatically after a few listenings. It's pretty obvious that it's foundation material for a lot of cool rock stuff that's still coming out now. The newer Sonic Youth discs give you tunes w/ alot of the same feel, but have the kind of fidelity that you could only dream might be possible when you hear the VU. Anyway, I'd start w/ the 1st and go to White Light/White Heat. If I remember correctly, the digital transfer was pretty bad. You might also dig the similarities between VU, early Can and Neu.