Question on Salamander Synergy system

I am considering the purchase of this system because it is the only one my wife seems to like the look of. Does it assist the sound quality?

Any recommendations for other systems in wood?

My wife thinks they are all ugly - looks like junk from a dorm room. Says most are clumsy looking at best.
tj_mulholland
I bought a "Single 40" cabinet recently. I don't think it "assists the sound quality" in any way. A couple of things to mention about this cabinet. The perforated side panels are not a tight fit in the channels, and rattled if I tapped on the cabinet. I disassembled everything and used some thick rubber electrical tape to create a tighter fit. I also used "Blu Tack" to islotate the shelves from the brackets. With these things done, I'm happy with the cabinet. Sonically, there are certainly better choices, but they are much more expensive.

JD
I use a Salamander 30/20 combo, and I agree with what JD said about not assisting with sound quality (i.e. not built with isolation in mind), and the rattling perforated panels (which can be adjusted with tape as JD suggested).

I do like the perforated panels because they allow for air circulation while still "hiding" the gear. I looked at all the Salamnder finishes, and I decided black was best for my purposes. The wood finishes, while pretty good, still look a little cheesy, IMO.

I love the infinitely adjustable shelves. Being able to adjust the shelves has allowed me to reconfigure my set-up at least a half a dozen times.

I love the heavy duty Saturn wheels. I move my cabinet all the time, and the heavy duty wheels are lifesavers.

Also, if you are interested in improving isolation, you might be interested in adding Neuance shelves by Greater Ranges. Ken Lyon makes the shelves to custom sizes, and I use one for my digital source. Ken built it to fit like it was made at the factory for the Salamander cabinet.
I have the Synergy in Maple. I wouldn't say it does much to help the sound quality. It's solid enough, but not in any amazing way. I'm using it on carpet which is over concrete in my basement, so I just have the flat stabilizor feet on it. For a wood floor or wood under carpet, the spikes would probably give you pretty good stability. I have about 100 Lbs. of stacked monoblocks on the bottom shelf which keeps things from moving around too much.