Quietest amplifier you have ever owned.

I hate it when I'm sitting in the listening chair with no music playing and you can hear the sound of the amplifier coming through the speakers. I was curious what the quietest amps out there might be. One example I can think of would be the Antique Sound Labs MG-SI15DT integrated amplilfier. With the amp on and no music playing I can put my ear right up to the speaker and hear nothing but dead silence. This is probably the quietest amp I have ever had and it probably has something to do with it's single-ended design.
bobgates
inpepinnovations@aol.com - When you say all you have to do is start tweaking to correct a problem this doesn't tell me very much. Could you be more specific?
Bobgates, first of all, I didn't say "all you have to do is start tweaking". I said that all tweaking is attempting to repair a perceived or real problem in your system. Noise in a properly set up system is not usually a problem - just because you hear some noise when you have your ear right up to the speakers doesn't mean that you have a problem. Some do think that this is a problem and they will start "tweaking away", cables, amps isolation platforms ad nauseum. If you hear noise using the method that I have described it is most probably due to a bad front end set-up or matching with the power amp, with the pre-amp not doing it share of the level gain and using the power amp to do the bulk of the gain. This is especially critical with high sensitivity speakers.
I HAVE OWNED KRELL/LEVINSON/THESHOLD/VAC/ AUDIO RESEARCH
BAT/GRYPHON/ ROWLAND
WITH OUT A DOUBT THE ROWLAND HAS BEEN THE QUIETEST